Fun, interesting, different fish in a frag tank

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most discussions around fish in a frag tank revolve around useful fish that serve a specific purpose such as algae control, pest control, etc. I’ve got three frag tanks and I’d like to flip the question a bit and I’m looking for ideas for fish that are just cool, different, fun. Maybe something you wouldn’t normally keep in the display tank because it’s aggressive to other fish or eats shrimp/inverts. Or maybe something smaller and interesting that would get overlooked or lost in a larger tank. The stipulations here are it has to be okay in a smaller tank (the largest of the three tanks is a 40g breeder), reef/coral safe (obviously), and needs to handle high flow.

OP
OP
LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I’m a CFT alumnus!

Ideas so far are:
- a pair or group of damsels, or pseudochromis (usually avoided due to aggression)
- hawkfish or dwarf puffer (avoided due to eating shrimp/inverts), the puffer is a bit of a coral risk
- not a fish, but a green brittle starfish (usually avoided due to eating fish)

OP
OP
LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Mollies?
A few years back I tried some mollies and they couldn't handle the flow. Within a few hours they ended up taking the water slides all over the system to the sump, refugium, and even one in the display lol

Some other ideas:
Group of Trimma or Eviota gobies, pom-pom crab, sexy shrimp (all usually avoided because they would get lost, overlooked, or eaten in a larger tank)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I’m a CFT alumnus!

Ideas so far are:
- a pair or group of damsels, or pseudochromis (usually avoided due to aggression)
- hawkfish or dwarf puffer (avoided due to eating shrimp/inverts), the puffer is a bit of a coral risk
- not a fish, but a green brittle starfish (usually avoided due to eating fish)
Valentini puffer is my favorite fish I've ever owned, but they nibbled on everything. They never ate full corals or anything, but they did give them a chew to see how they tasted periodically. So will depend how coral safe you are looking. They did seem to enjoy chewing fleshier stuff like LPS and softies for me. SPS I'd trust them a bit more

OP
OP
LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini puffer is my favorite fish I've ever owned, but they nibbled on everything. They never ate full corals or anything, but they did give them a chew to see how they tasted periodically. So will depend how coral safe you are looking. They did seem to enjoy chewing fleshier stuff like LPS and softies for me. SPS I'd trust them a bit more
All three of these frag tanks are almost exclusively SPS. But you raise a good point, a lot of times coral pickers are more likely to "taste" corals that are stressed or sliming, which is going to happen more often in a frag tank, and occasional nipping is also more detrimental to small frags vs colonies.

OP
OP
LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line wrasses are sure good at this, but not necessarily different. It has a couple cousins, especially the cool looking 4-line that isn't very common.
Ooh, I like this. There are a couple of Pseudocheilinus options that are somewhat uncommon/unique and I assume would serve a useful purpose as well.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my frag as a grow out tank. For example a lot of my wrasses can be very expensive as super males and don’t live that long after…so I try to get them as small juveniles which are cheaper, but also the enjoyment of watching them color up and grow.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, I like this. There are a couple of Pseudocheilinus options that are somewhat uncommon/unique and I assume would serve a useful purpose as well.
Pseudocheilinus evanidus seems to be much less aggressive than its more common cousin, P. hexataenia. It also does the same type of job, cleaning up pests. I love mine, never bothered any tankmates, even with peaceful fish like a possum wrasse, but still more than capable of holding it's own with dottybacks, larger damsels, and large fowlr fish (it currently resides in my 240 gallon with big tangs, angels, triggers, XL wrasses, damsels, a dottyback, etc).

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank taised catalina goby. Super colorful and can handle the more normal temps than wild. Get a bunch of flaming prawn gobies. Pygmy hawk fish, or even a dwarf lionfish for the 40.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back