Aggressive lawnmower blenny

gobyloverrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lawnmower blenny is aggressive with all of my fish except Nemo’s. And I just introduced a new yellow clown goby he’s a baby. And he began to be aggressive towards it immediately we introduced it. I don’t know what to do why is he so aggressive. Has anyone had the same experience. Should I put him in a seperate tank. I don’t understand why he’s aggressive with all my fish.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lawnmower blennies can be like that, especially towards anything that perches like they do. They're not necessarily a peaceful fish. Probably best to separate them from anything that can't fight back, which your clownfish can.

How big is the tank?

OP
OP
G

gobyloverrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blennies can be like that, especially towards anything that perches like they do. They're not necessarily a peaceful fish. Probably best to separate them from anything that can't fight back, which your clownfish can.

How big is the tank?
It’s a 55 gallon tank. And yes I’ve noticed it frustrates me to see him chase off my other fish but clownfish. Because I don’t want him to do any harm to my fish and frustrate them or possibly kill them. I don’t know if it’s possible for a blenny to end up killing any other fish

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aggressive fish can wind up killing other fish, yes, through stress if nothing else.

If you have another tank you can put him in and have him do well, that's probably a good idea. You can try a molly miller blenny for this tank once he's gone- they're peaceful, and, as a bonus, eat all sorts of pest algae and supposedly even aiptasia.

OP
OP
G

gobyloverrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggressive fish can wind up killing other fish, yes, through stress if nothing else.

If you have another tank you can put him in and have him do well, that's probably a good idea. You can try a molly miller blenny for this tank once he's gone- they're peaceful, and, as a bonus, eat all sorts of pest algae and supposedly even aiptasia.
Thank you for your feedback I will put him in a seperate 10 gallon tank. Any suggestions of what other fish he can get along with in the tank where he won’t get aggressive towards. I am going to get him a shrimp friend. Since he was very friendly with my red fire shrimp in the 55 gallon tank.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 10gal isn't enough space for a lawnmower blenny- they hit 5" or so.

Semi-aggressive fish like clownfish, other damsels, and dwarf angels would have a good shot at doing fine with him, in an appropriately-sized tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back