Aggressive puffer

Bob Reda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a striped puffer that is being very aggressive toward my dog-face puffer. Both are the same size about 8 " long. This only started about 2 weeks ago. I've had them for over a year. Any ideas or suggestions? Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

Thanks
Bob

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a striped puffer that is being very aggressive toward my dog-face puffer. Both are the same size about 8 " long. This only started about 2 weeks ago. I've had them for over a year. Any ideas or suggestions? Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

Thanks
Bob
Bob,
Your not in the wrong place and Welcome to Reef 2 Reef

It maybe time that one has to go, but tagging along more incite.

Freddie

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something off the top of my head that I would do is take out both fish, place them in buckets for a while, then return them to the tank at the same time.

Definitely not a 100% solution, in fact I've never had to do this with puffer fish, but it has helped curb some aggression which tangs.

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woop his butt!! Reach in there with a stick or hand and show him how it feels. Im serious by the way!
Beat him up a little

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just jab and move. Fly like a copperband butterfly and sting like a lionfish! - trademark, me

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when puffers get large their aggression increases. Moving things around may help, but it also may not. If it doesn't get better than 1 will likely need to be rehomed.

OP
OP
Bob Reda

Bob Reda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the one getting picked on to a separate tank for a while to give him some peace and quiet, how long do you think I should keep them apart?
Bob

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's better to remove the aggressor, as it allows the subordinate fish gain confidence and more dominance. Now the aggressor is getting more of an uperhand.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are they in, those 2 puffers at that size it's a 50/50 chance at best they will get along. You may have luck in a tank around 300g, anything smaller my instincts say it will end badly. When they get that large and antagonism starts, it usually doesn't end with peace.

OP
OP
Bob Reda

Bob Reda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the aggressor in time out. About how long should it stay in there? I have a 100 gallon tank. They got along great until a few weeks ago, I thought maybe it was mating season or something.

Bob

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the aggressor in time out. About how long should it stay in there? I have a 100 gallon tank. They got along great until a few weeks ago, I thought maybe it was mating season or something.

Bob

If it were me, I would not return the striped puffer to the display. A 100 is really too small for 2 such puffers, and the striped has a reputation for being aggressive when they get that large anyway. Even more so when they are collected at a large size.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%

Back