Aggressive Yellow-Fin Fairy Wrass?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere I’ve read has said this is a peaceful communal fish. 5 days ago I introduced a Carpenters Flasher Wrasse and I come home today to find it dead. Since day one the Fairy had chased it into a corner. The Flasher was eating with no problems but even at feeding times he would get chased. I’m wanting a community tank, not a semi aggressive tank. Do I need to rehome the Fairy or what? Tank is a 40 gallon breeder with a 10 gallon sized sump.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that's a species that can hold it's own I've not heard much about it being aggressive. The only one I've kept was pretty mild mannered. Interested to hear TJ's or Hunter's take.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This Ian what Hunter wrote about in the sticky

C. flavidorsalis “Yellow-fin Fairy”: One of the smallest of the genus. Often available at an affordable cost. While generally not overly aggressive, they will stand their ground quite well for their size.

I read this as somewhat aggressive.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I was assuming they were used more for semi aggressive species, not the “peaceful” ones.
I now use it with every wrasse addition, figure easier to start with it than try and catch one.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use acclimation for EVERY fish I put in now. I have had too many issues with aggression to NOT attempt this. It isn't 100% but it does make the process easier. Just remember that the listed demeanor of a fish is more of a probability and odds situation and not a hard fact situation. Generally Peaceful fish can turn aggressive and some semi-aggressive fish can be perfectly mild mannered. My guess is that your Yellow Fin has become established (been in the tank for a while) and won't take kindly to any new wrasse additions. You can keep the acclimation boxes super cheap and simple. I used these dollar store drain baskets to acclimate my Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel and it seemed to work pretty well:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found flavidorsalis to be in the top 1/3 of aggressive fairy wrasses. Not as bad as filamentosus, but moreso than most others.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what else would be a good match for this little terror? Gramma? Dottyback? Trying to stay away from Damsels and Clowns. Already have a OC Clown in the other tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back