Aging

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aging

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play on the computer until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 and 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet passes? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old . It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART!

As TO GETTING OLDER, went for my first "in person" 6 month checkup yesterday, the nurse (who looked to be at least 18yrs old) said " You have the prettiest white hair". Told her Thank You, I've had a lot of GOOD Times getting it.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very well said, Paul. So very well said.

I think you've got a few on me, but I'm not far behind.

I, too, have learned to like myself a lot more as I've added the miles under my belt. People can think of me whatever, whenever, they want. I am very happy with the "me" I've become.

Thanks for posting!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on Paul spot on.
Where a Post would annoy me or try and wind me up I find my replies are less angry than what they would have been not soon ago. I prefer to laugh not scold.

We have far more important things in our lives like our children and grandchildren and we only worry for them not ourselves. We have had a good innings, been there done that, lost and won laughed and cried have no need to apologise to ourselves.

Sure there have been many things we would have done differently and had the odd regret but when we look back we are satisfied in that we haven't done at all to badly and are still here to talk about it and help others if they will let you.

Happy to call you a friend on here. Long may that continue my friend.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we now have our Grand Children and we worry about them. I worry that the world is in such a state now that I am not sure what will happen to them.

We left them a real mess. Our generation filled the seas with plastic. When I was a kid, there was no plastic. Like none, not even a plastic bag or screw top on a milk container.

There was also no terrorists, no people shooting up schools, no Covid. We respected teachers, priests and police.

People that would harm us or our children were in prison.

The great war to end all wars was over. But was it?

We didn't have the money, but if we did, we could travel without worrying if we would be kidnapped or worse.

I am certainly old and I like being old. I get more respect than I did at 16 or 40. I have been around and seen as much of the world as I want to see and did just about everything I ever wanted to do.

I also have everything I want and more money wouldn't do anything for me. I am content. :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning John. Good to see you to. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back