Agreesive/Semi Agressive 75 Gallon

Amberion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all;

Im fairly new to the Saltwater world, (about 1 year) I have a tank with softies and some peaceful fish. However I recently acquired a 75 gallon, with a 30 gallon sump. I am looking at doing something a little different from the last tank, specifically planning on a FOWLR with aggressive/semi-aggressive fish. I have read A LOT of different posts about similar items but cant seem to find any opinions specifically for what Im looking at and would love any feedback you guys can provide. My initial thought was to go with a fish list similar to the following, with the plan to add all the smaller fish early and get the aggressive fish as small as possible and add them after the small fish are settled. The tank is on its second month of cycling (cause im no hurry while I plan it) and I expect it will cycle for another couple of months before I really start adding fish. My plan is to start with a small mostly fish clean up crew:
  • Watchman Golbie
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • 2 Cleaner shrimp
  • Kole Tang
I then want the tank to be specifically a habitation for some if not all of the following fish (I value opinions on compatibility as ive seen VERY mixed opinions on what will or wont work well together):
  • 1 or 2 Wrasse (not a 6 line, but open to suggestions out side of that)
  • Small puffer
  • Small lion fish
  • Longnose Hawk fish
  • Snowflake Eel

I am not specifically attached to any of the fish on this list, Ive just discovered that 75 gallon seems to be no mans land for saltwater tanks... most of the cool center piece fish need 125 gallon, so although I thought it was big enough, its apparently too small for alot of them. Hence why I thought I would do an aggressive tank. I understand no invertebrates other than the cleaner shrimp (and even those are a gamble). But does my clean up crew look ok? I have a 2 inch sand bed using Fiji Pink. If not what should I add or change? And with the agressive fish what are peoples opinions on what will work vs what wont. Thanks

Picture of my tank and aquascaping attached.

75 gallon tank.jpg

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, interested to see what others will post. i have a 75 with about the same size sump my wish was for a panther grouper but i understand that i don't have enough tank for that

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to stay in my own lane, so this isn't really up my alley, but I''ll give you some feedback on the fish I do have experience with.

All fish need to sized appropriately large enough for the lion not to eat them. The dwarf /medium lion species are very challenging to feed and an observation tank to get them eating is highly recommended. While I'm a live food advocate for these species of lions, your tank would not be suitable, and getting them to eat an appropriate dead diet is very challenging, so do your research, I;ve posted extensively about this. The shrimp would be on the menu for the lion(very likely) and the snowflake(eventually), and probably the puffer. The canthigaster genus puffers are the ones you want to look at, the blue spot being the most popular, but also the nippiest, which I personally can't stand with my lions. For wrasses check out the flasher and fairy wrasses. The longnose hawk would be at risk for lion food.

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby may be snapped up by the lionfish, my choice for a predator tank of your size would be: Radiata lion, snowflake eel, Toby puffer, marine betta, tobacco bass and a haileochores wrasse. Good luck!!
Try breeding opae Ula for live foods, but they may only work until they grow big. Or you may have to feed a lot

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back