Agressive emperor angel

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emperor angel is very aggressive towards my regal angel at feeding times, it will chase him away and try nip his tail. It happens through the day without feeding but less often maybe once or twice. I love both fish. I've had them both for almost a year and they have co existed together.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he appear healthy still?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20210824-205323.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210824-205323.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 44

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does he appear healthy still?
Looks healthy from just this picture, but you have to watch for stress and hiding over time. Emperors have a reputation for being territorial. How large is the tank? You may need to plan for a re-home for one of them at some point.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks healthy from just this picture, but you have to watch for stress and hiding over time. Emperors have a reputation for being territorial. How large is the tank? You may need to plan for a re-home for one of them at some point.
Yeah it's not like he's chasing him all over, it's whenever he gets within a certain space of him, and not all the time either which Is strange. Food definitely makes things worse so I get the territory part of that. The tank is 5 foot long and two feet wide

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same to my other fish that eat what he eats. There is no cure.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently sold mines after I introduced a smaller Scribbled and Blueface. It was fine the first hour, then all hell broke loose. The emperor went after the Scribbled aggressively biting her thankfully missing most of the time. It was determined to kill her. I was so ticked off, I netted him out and threw him in the sump. Wasn't going to risk losing a new beautiful $400 Angel. Now my Scribbled and Blueface and living peacefully together along 28 other fish.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same to my other fish that eat what he eats. There is no cure.
Aggressively chasing once in a while and worse at feeding time? I watched them today and only witnessed it once.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easier to replace an imp, than a regal. Your 5' tank is plenty big for a regal, but you will have to rehome your imp in time

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggressively chasing once in a while and worse at feeding time? I watched them today and only witnessed it once.
He chases them durring feeding and sometimes not durring feeding when he sees me walking by. I guess he thinks ill feed them. They have lived this way more than a year, hes never killed any fish. He bullies my orange spot rabbitfish and panther grouper.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know all the particulars of your tank— and a lot might depend on Eurobraced or not, lighting canopy or not, etc., but could you shove an egg crate divider down into the tank just at feeding time? I KNOW, I KNOW, probably a pain-in-the-neck idea that would get tiresome; But I’m just trying to think out-of-the-box for you…

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back