Ai blades for a frag tank

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 40 breeder frag tank and I'm wondering if 2 blade grows would provide enough light to house sps frags. I like the t5 like blanket of light they provide, but if 2 isn't enough then plan b is probably Noopsyche.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd base it on wattage. Each module puts out about 20W. For example I have 2x48", each 48" has 5 modules which means I have up to 200W. My SPS do well in that. I'd compare that wattage to the noopsyche.

What I dislike about blades is they do not have a good variety of colors like the fluval marines. The fluval are half as strong but give you far better variety.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd base it on wattage. Each module puts out about 20W. For example I have 2x48", each 48" has 5 modules which means I have up to 200W. My SPS do well in that. I'd compare that wattage to the noopsyche.

What I dislike about blades is they do not have a good variety of colors like the fluval marines. The fluval are half as strong but give you far better variety.
I agree, I looked at the fluval and decided it just didn't have the needed power. Other lights I'm considering are the Nicrew, Smatfarm, Noopsyche, Quanta pro, popbloom bars. Nothing has everything I want, but it is a frag tank so I'm trying to go cheap without going so cheap that I regret my choice.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I looked at the fluval and decided it just didn't have the needed power. Other lights I'm considering are the Nicrew, Smatfarm, Noopsyche, Quanta pro, popbloom bars. Nothing has everything I want, but it is a frag tank so I'm trying to go cheap without going so cheap that I regret my choice.
I have a grow and a glow but now I’m thinking of adding one of the freshwater ones because I want more white light. Doesn’t help they cost a ton.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blades are good, I have 1 grow over a standard 29 gallon. Will grow anything I want. 2 on a 40 breeder and you will be set.

The color channels are not great, that's why they make the glow. But still...

That being said look into: ReeFi

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a grow and a glow but now I’m thinking of adding one of the freshwater ones because I want more white light. Doesn’t help they cost a ton.

Blades are good, I have 1 grow over a standard 29 gallon. Will grow anything I want. 2 on a 40 breeder and you will be set.

The color channels are not great, that's why they make the glow. But still...

That being said look into: ReeFi
Yeah and that is a spot I keep getting hung up. I'm going to spend premium money for a light that doesn't have the full spectrum? Maybe adding in a home Depot RGB light for that red and green.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go look in the for sale section and pick up something better for less.
If budget is a concern that's what I would do. I've seen a lot of great stuff in there over the last few weeks for good prices. Who cares if they used it for 4 months? You can get something much better that way.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go look in the for sale section and pick up something better for less.
If budget is a concern that's what I would do. I've seen a lot of great stuff in there over the last few weeks for good prices. Who cares if they used it for 4 months? You can get something much better that way.
Good idea. I've been surfing FB marketplace but I forgot the forum has a market also

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back