AI Nero 3, is it worth it?

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with my Neros, I do a deep cleaning every 6 months. Only thing I don't like about them is the wiring that goes over the tank.

Why can't they have the same design like the MP 40s

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero3 in my Nano and I think it's been a great pump so far. The Nero line is great if you are looking for a high-quality small form-factor pump.

Worth it, especially if you are on the Mobius platform for your other devices. I probably would look elsewhere if I didn't use Mobius already and didn't particularly need or care about the slim design.

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Nero 3 right at the one-year mark. I run them in the 40-60% range, I think. Relatively easy to disassemble and clean, wire is small diameter (easy to get it into my tank and manage), overall profile inside and outside the tank is relatively small. Overall I am happy with them.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a bad batch of them a while back. My oldest one still runs and the one they replaced for me from the bad batch still runs great. (should have been a red flag BRS didnt have em in stock but LFS did) now 2-3 years old and I have never cleaned them

Last edited:

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't waist my money on them anymore. I have 4 of them that no longer work. 3 of them have been serviced and replaced but none of the pumps, even the replaced and serviced Nero 3s never lasted more than a year.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the reviews on BRS? With them failing?that was back in 2020-2021.they have since resolved that issue. I have had the same 5 (2 bought from that period and 3 in the past year) and have no issues.

I have a 7.5 gallon nano that I have one In that goes from random set to 20% and then wave mode at 25-30 percent. In that tank I have mushrooms, a hammer, 2 nems, hydrophone, 3 different kinds on anacropora, digitata, gsp, and an acro. Everything is doing great.

I have a 30 gallon tank that has 4 on it. Set to random on everything for now. No coral just fish right now. I have them at 50%

If worried about being over powered you will be fine. Worried about reliability, you will be fine. They are great pumps, very versatile, would be great for lps and softies.
So that was my fear is the reviews on brs were basically all negative and about the same issue over and over. Can’t find any source saying AI has fixed it or resolved that issue. I really want to use it but those reviews intimidated me a bit.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviews of many good products are bad at BRS. I don't know why specifically, but BRS seems to be a magnet for really idiotic and noobish reviews from very foolish people, so I would look other places for reviews.

That said, with the Jebao/jecod offerings I don't see the point in spending on a nero personally, unless you really want to use the AI app.
It would be a plus since two other items on my tank are connected to the my ai app.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always do your own research, don't ever take product advice from a retail store. They get commission for their products sold. If a retailer steers you toward a certain product, it’s often because they have more benefit to sell you that brand compared to other brand.
Yeah I learned that early on at my LFS when they would steer me to non compatible or ideal fish or corals. At this point for me they are just there to reach their hands in the tank and grab what I’ve already looked into lol

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared the gyre that AI makes to the Nero? The smaller one might work if you prefer gyres.
My concern is a gyre would be too much for my 30 gallon. I had a 60 cube some years back that ran to ice caps and I had them pointed right at each other on 30% max to get the flow optimal. I think for a smaller cube I would just end up with my sand thrown all about unless I turn it way down. I could be wrong but it’s hard to spend 300$ to test that out

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is a gyre would be too much for my 30 gallon. I had a 60 cube some years back that ran to ice caps and I had them pointed right at each other on 30% max to get the flow optimal. I think for a smaller cube I would just end up with my sand thrown all about unless I turn it way down. I could be wrong but it’s hard to spend 300$ to test that out
I have a Reefwave 25 in my 40g cube (24x24x24) that I have ran at different percentages up to probably 70% or so with no sand issue. Obviously placement in the tank and aquascaping would impact this.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 0.2. I love my nero 3, have been running it for almost 2years without issue and love the customizability. As I was learning I've changed the flow around a lot

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on the output of those but i run two nero 3s at 80 percent in a 20 gallon with only minimal sand movement,

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefwave 25 in my 40g cube (24x24x24) that I have ran at different percentages up to probably 70% or so with no sand issue. Obviously placement in the tank and aquascaping would impact this.
I thought 24x24x24 is 60 gallon? That’s the same dimensions as my old cube that I thought was 60..

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on the output of those but i run two nero 3s at 80 percent in a 20 gallon with only minimal sand movement,
Yeah I’m wondering if I’ll need two eventually as well, I only pan on having lps and softies so strong flow for me isn’t needed. Mainly flow to keep detritus from settling but doing that with a center overflow looks challenging

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 3:
Versatility 10/10
Quality 3/10

Im on my second and already showing signs of issues. I would most likely not buy another until they address quality
What causes them to fail? Because from a general perspective it seems they just stop turning?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back