AI Nero 3 recomendations

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a controllable power head for my jbj 25gallon aio.

I’m drawn to the Nero but the reviews really turn me away. I’ve heard all the negative, but does anyone have anything positive to say about it? Who would recommend it?

Has AI worked to fix any flaws since the pump came out a few years ago? Or are they still producing the same poorly reviewed product.

Are there any other recommendations? I’ve ran mp-10s before and loved it, just don’t wanna pay for one at the moment.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read to much negative about the nero wavemakers, what are your reservations? I run MP pumps myself because I like to minimize wires in the tank, but definitely understand the cost argument.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, no noise and work great. Liked the 3 so much on my nano I went with the 5 on my larger tank.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Nero 5. They been working for 2 years without a hitch. No noises or issues. Only minor issue I had is my Midas and starry blenny likes to go inside and perch if you shut it off to do maintenance, need to watch out for that. Since then I’ve put a guard on front to block.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a nero 3. For small tanks it's clutch with the small foot print and decent controllAbility.

Mine keeps automatically changing its set time and date to 1970 or something but that's been my only issue.

OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read to much negative about the nero wavemakers, what are your reservations? I run MP pumps myself because I like to minimize wires in the tank, but definitely understand the cost argument.
Just heard many people talking about them failing, locking up, control app glitches, etc on a bunch of forums. plus they have pretty poor reviews on BRS.
They have all said that AI took care of them as long as they were within the 1 year warranty, but who wants to be dealing with warranty on a 6 month old product. And who wants to buy a new one at 14 months when it breaks out of warranty.

It seems like the majority of negative talk about them was around 2020-2021. Just wanted to hear some positive news about them before I make my decision.

mousehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had one for about 4 months. One the plus side, lots of flow (and I only have the 3), but on the down side the hardware side of the app is flaky. Sometimes it goes from wave to continuous mode on it's own. Sometimes it has a mind of it's own on flow rate - the app says it is at 30%, but I have no waves, reset - and boom, waves again.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a controllable power head for my jbj 25gallon aio.

I’m drawn to the Nero but the reviews really turn me away. I’ve heard all the negative, but does anyone have anything positive to say about it? Who would recommend it?

Has AI worked to fix any flaws since the pump came out a few years ago? Or are they still producing the same poorly reviewed product.

Are there any other recommendations? I’ve ran mp-10s before and loved it, just don’t wanna pay for one at the moment.
Generally, like most things in this hobby, people tend to complain a lot and write about things that go wrong.

The zillions of happy users have nothing to say.

I have 4 x Nero 5's in my 75 gal plus a Nero 3 in the Nano tank.

Apart from one unit, the rest have performed fine.
One unit had an issue where the back separated from the shell, however that was easily fixed with some 24 hour epoxy adhesive and it's been fine like that for about 12 months now.

I've heard a couple of other folks with that issue which should not happen, but saltwater is a nasty environment, and the problem is easily fixed.

I'd happily buy another if needed.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure exactly how long I've had mine but it's been over a year since I bought them. I have two 5s in a reefer 300 along with 2 mp10s and two 3s in my reefer 170 that have been fine. The only thing I dislike about the nero is cleaning them because the long cord is attached to the motor so it's a hassle to remove them. That is where the MPs shine. I keep a spare wet side and just swap them out when they need cleaned. I like the my Ai app much better than mobius but you can use either on the nero.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back