AI Nero 5 Rattling Noise

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! As the title says my Nero 5 makes a rattling noise. I bought it used and according to the seller it wasn’t making the noise prior to him selling it to me, the pump was in use for 3 months.

this is the things I’ve checked given Google searches and things I found online…

The pump is clean, there is no obstructions in the 4 holes it has, there is no grease blocking anything, there doesn’t seem to be any broken part and the pump is properly assembled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try contacting AI. They may have a spare parts/repair kit or some suggestions on how to troubleshoot. I had a Nero 3 and never had any issues with noise.
Yeah I contacted them see what they say. I have a bunch of friends who have them and never had issues so it’s kind of a bummer this one does lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I contacted them see what they say. I have a bunch of friends who have them and never had issues so it’s kind of a bummer this one does lol
Sorry to hear about your woes - hopefully AI can help you get squared away.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a Nero, but I have two MP10s that do rattle. One of the potential fixes that some people have had good luck with is to open it up and replace the bearings.
I haven't done that yet, but will consider it if it gets worse.
I do know, at least on the MP10s, if you turn them down, the rattling goes away. You might try doing that with the Nero.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have seen well made you tube videos on how to replace the bearings but have never been able to fond the bearings

Any leads?

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so forgot to update here guys! My bad. So after talking with AI they told me to give it a 2hr bath in citric acid and to reset it before putting it back in the tank. That worked so I’m not sure what was the issue.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this issue with one of my Nero 5 and it was brand new. I let it run and rattle for couple days and it’s silent now. It was driving me crazy. I guess for me had to break it in a bit. My other Nero 5 was silent out of the box however.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so forgot to update here guys! My bad. So after talking with AI they told me to give it a 2hr bath in citric acid and to reset it before putting it back in the tank. That worked so I’m not sure what was the issue.
In that case it was probably some muck down in the base of the wet side. The bearings wouldn't have had anything to do with it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same pump. Been in use 3 months. It started making a noise like it had bad bearings about a month into ownership. It stopped for a while and then started again.

I find turning it off and then back on makes the noise go away, although, I wouldn't call that a fix.

Funny I should come across this thread. I'm looking into the same issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back