Ai prime 16, Kessile or Steve’s leds for biocube 32

Corbin Novencido

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need some help making a decision. Every other thread I read says something different it seems. I have a biocube 32 that I want to grow Zoas and SPS. If it can support a bubble anemone thatd be great too but not a deal breaker. I have no attachment to the hood, I’ll just make a lid if I have to but I just need to know the best option. I hear Steve’s LEDs have mixed reviews especially with customer service. I think A ai prime 16 would be the best option? But is it enough for the sps in the 32 biocube?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. Steves is still around. I got my first leds from him 14 yrs ago. Lot of work putting them all together. I'll have to look them up and see whats changed no way its the same white and blue cree 3 watts still. At the time he had great customer service, helped me every step of the way. Soldering 600 leds is no simple task.

I like kessils but spread may be an issue.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Prime on my 29 BioCube with a custom lid (@cromag27 ). I'd highly recommend going that route!

Check out this link to my old build thread, shows my lid and my Prime!

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve's are good if you want to keep the stock hood, but the other brands are probably better choices.

I had acceptable (not great, but not horrible) CS when I needed to replace the thermometer that comes with Steve's. It was a slow initial response time, but after that the problem was resolved quickly (this was about 1.5-2 yrs ago). My purples just burned through the plastic cover, so I'm about to replace that with glass. Otherwise, I've had no issues with them since setting them up.

Hammers, acans, goni and my RBTA seem to like them. I put in a digi last week so I'll see how it adapts.

Imo, the only reason to go with Steve's is if you're attached to the hood.

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Prime on my 29 BioCube with a custom lid (@cromag27 ). I'd highly recommend going that route!

That looks really good.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideal would be $300-400 but can go up to like $500-600

I would consider either two kessil a160we's, A noopsyche (or two minis), two or three AI blades, or reef brite lumi lite (or lumi lite pro) strips. A kessil LED strip hybrid is my favorite option but I am not sure of the current price and is obviously the most expensive option. There's also the radion. Maxpsect also has some options that look good.

When I say two of the single puck lights for better spread if its an sps system with lots of potential shading.

OP
OP
C

Corbin Novencido

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did the sps die bcs the light wasn’t strong enough or was it just the switch that did?

EZKLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Factory Flare Pro Blue S on mine and really like it

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the sps die bcs the light wasn’t strong enough or was it just the switch that did?
The SPS dying had NOTHING to do with the light change. At that point in time I had started neglecting the tank a bit, and water quality was diminishing which caused all my SPS to die. It was just coincidental that the I got a new light for the tank too.

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Kessil. I had 2 A160we’s but switched to a A360x.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think it’s down to a Kessile A360x and the Ai prime 16.
The Prime imo will struggle for sps on that size tank, I would go 2 a160 kessils or 1 a360, or a 32 Prime, make sure you see the Kessil in action as the shimmer is much different to the other choices you list.

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Prime imo will struggle for sps on that size tank, I would go 2 a160 kessils or 1 a360, or a 32 Prime, make sure you see the Kessil in action as the shimmer is much different to the other choices you list.
I absolutely love the shimmer!

Rageb1t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AI Prime HD on my Biocube 32. The light is excellent but has a single spotlight area of projection. I would look at the AI Blade Grow and Glow. They are low profile and spread the light across the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 54

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need some help making a decision. Every other thread I read says something different it seems. I have a biocube 32 that I want to grow Zoas and SPS. If it can support a bubble anemone thatd be great too but not a deal breaker. I have no attachment to the hood, I’ll just make a lid if I have to but I just need to know the best option. I hear Steve’s LEDs have mixed reviews especially with customer service. I think A ai prime 16 would be the best option? But is it enough for the sps in the 32 biocube?
You’re going to get varying opinions on this. Find the budget you are comfortable with.

Figure out what features are most important to you.

if configuration is important to you are you going to go vortech powerheads? Nero powerheads?

if you get vortech powerheads maybe the Radion is for you. One configuration to control them all.

You want Nero powerheads? Maybe a pair of Primes is what you want. Or the hydra. So you can use the AI app to control everything.

Maybe none of that matters to you and the Kessil is more interesting.

Your budget is going to allow you to go from low end to high end. It’s all up to you.

A pair of AI Primes are what I use and I absolutely love them. I’ve owned ATI, Reef Breeders and Kessil. These are my favorite. I’m adding a third one to my 22 long

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back