22" square cube KESSIL vs AI

smoothie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of Aquatop 40 gallon rimless cubes. I plan on setting one up for LPS and one for SPS. Dimensions are 22" x 22" x 22". Trying to figure out what light would be best. Looked at a Kessil 360x tuna blue, AI hydra Prime 16 reef or a AI Hydra 32 HD LED Reef Light. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ran a 360x tuna blue over a 14g cube and it grew sps and los just fine. I had it at a 10” mounting height. Don’t have the 14g anymore but still have the 360x if your looking for a less expensive 360x

OP
OP
S

smoothie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For plating sps a single 360x will work, but if you're talking acropora, then I would use two or wait until the Quanta fixture comes out.
when does kessil normally release new lights or for that matter, all of the light manufacturers? I am just getting back in to the hobby after a 10 year hiatus.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For plating sps a single 360x will work, but if you're talking acropora, then I would use two or wait until the Quanta fixture comes out.
What is this 'Quanta' fixture you are referring too? Is it different from the Quanta Reef LED bars?
OP- A single A360X, mounted 8 to 9 inches up would work well. You'll love the simplicity of the Kessil, the color and shimmer, and the form factor if going without a canopy.

OP
OP
S

smoothie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this 'Quanta' fixture you are referring too? Is it different from the Quanta Reef LED bars?
OP- A single A360X, mounted 8 to 9 inches up would work well. You'll love the simplicity of the Kessil, the color and shimmer, and the form factor if going without a canopy.
Do you think one 360 will work for the SPS tank as well? I am looking for a light that can be programmed to turn on, go through the ramp up and come down at night. Can this all be done if I get the wifi dongle?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ran the kessil so cant comment.
For the AI I would run a 32 or 2 16's.
This is my Aquatop 18" nano cube running 2 16hds. They grow sps quite well, imo.
20220926_094502.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think one 360 will work for the SPS tank as well? I am looking for a light that can be programmed to turn on, go through the ramp up and come down at night. Can this all be done if I get the wifi dongle?
yes for the dongle part. For the sps part maybe....may need fill lighting.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like Kessils, 2 of the 160s would be another option for better coverage. I would look at Kessil in person to see if you like the shimmer.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Luca is coming out with a fixture that should cover a 2x2 area and he used a 14k Ushio bulb as the backbone for spectrum, but should have more to offer. I also believe he's updated some features to the Quanta Pro bars as well, which should be coming out soon. I think May is the release or official announcement. @Lousybreed anything you can add without letting the cat out of the bag?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when does kessil normally release new lights or for that matter, all of the light manufacturers? I am just getting back in to the hobby after a 10 year hiatus.
There's no set time, but some wait until some of the larger trade shows happen to release new products. If you're in a hurry, maybe consider some used fixtures for the time being?

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luca is coming out with a fixture that should cover a 2x2 area and he used a 14k Ushio bulb as the backbone for spectrum, but should have more to offer. I also believe he's updated some features to the Quanta Pro bars as well, which should be coming out soon. I think May is the release or official announcement. @Lousybreed anything you can add without letting the cat out of the bag?
Thank you for the info! Looking forward to this new light!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of Aquatop 40 gallon rimless cubes. I plan on setting one up for LPS and one for SPS. Dimensions are 22" x 22" x 22". Trying to figure out what light would be best. Looked at a Kessil 360x tuna blue, AI hydra Prime 16 reef or a AI Hydra 32 HD LED Reef Light. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.
If You are in need of a great light and for about the same price as the kessil and the 32hd look into Reefi. This will grow anything you want, looks nice too.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he would still need two for sps though. But, I agree, the Reefi Uno Pro is a serious light.
Its possible with shading from the acros as they get bigger. As for power to grow acros no issue. I think with any light more than a single "plane" will be needed/beneficial. With that size tank and the 120 lens it may not need to be anything more than a t5 in front and behind much later though. I have a single 1 on a 28x28x24 inside dimension and I have a good amount of light wall to wall. As I have started bringing the power level up a bit I am noticing even par across most of the tank at various level with in the tank, I am only going to 125w as its lps dom.

gvincent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a video here kind of explaining how the kessils color spectrum out competes a lower priced lighting fixture. Not exactly the answer your looking for but definitely shows how correct color spectrum effects growth and coloration of corals. Not sure what the AI can provide spectrum wise but its a good watch, and some good info in comments.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think most modern LED fixtures will grow coral just fine, but it comes down to how the fixture(s) are used and what you're trying to cover. I'm a Kessil fan, but I also understand its limitations under certain applications. I'm also a huge fan of hybrid setups using different styles of LEDs or w/old school lighting (T5's & halides). I like mixing Kessils with other fixtures, it think that's where they really shine.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a kessil 360x over a 60g 24x24x24 cube. I ran it at 80% with an aquatic life t5 hybrid to grow sps. It looked really nice, but I needed more power. I think 1 360x would work fine for LPS, but you may need more juice for sps, especially acros. For what it’s worth, my noopsyche k7 v3 is bringing out more colors and growth than I ever saw with my kessil. It’s not as simple or intuitive as the kessil, and doesn’t look as nice, but my corals have better colors for sure.

Edit: I attribute the better colors to providing more par to my corals. Not saying noops have a better spectrum. If I ran an ap9x or 500, I think I’d have the needed power plus a nice spectrum. But the price difference is real between a k7v3 and ap9x….

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back