AI Prime fan sounds broken need help

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just came home from work and my AI prime is dang near broken it sounds like a return pump out of water its so loud. Never had this issue, I cleaned as much dust out as I could but that didn't do anything. Its so loud Its pretty much not usable in its current state but is still working. What steps can I take from here to fix it? Should I contact aquaillumination about warranty? Also attached video, I want to be very clear this is not normal at all. Never heard this before.
Im keeping the light unplugged till I figure something out, hopefully it wasn't running like that too long and the damage hasn't already been done.

Attachments

• 20210814_222422.mp4
    18.5 MB

BillyKVT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this issue with my lights every now and then. I open the app and keep restarting them until they stop making noise. Really annoying

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the fan going.. could be the little screen on the air intake (top of the Prime) that's hitting the fan. It's pretty easy to pop the cover off and clean it and make sure that screen isn't touching the fan. I think there is 4 screws on the bottom side

If it's still under warranty, you could contact AI. They are pretty good about that stuff but you might be without a light for a while ;x

OP
OP
Jjd531

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the fan going.. could be the little screen on the air intake (top of the Prime) that's hitting the fan. It's pretty easy to pop the cover off and clean it and make sure that screen isn't touching the fan. I think there is 4 screws on the bottom side

If it's still under warranty, you could contact AI. They are pretty good about that stuff but you might be without a light for a while ;x
I don't believe its the screen, if you noticed in the video I had the top screen off :/ I wish that was the issue. Will a complete disassembly kill my warranty? I'm pretty sure its still under warranty. I'm actually about to leave for vacation for a week so this is really inconvenient. Thankfully this is my freshwater prime because if one of my reef ones went out I would be pretty distressed.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry didn't watch the video but from your description sounds like the bearings on the light are going. I don't know about voiding the warranty. AI sells a fan kit for the prime 16hd so dunno. I noticed on my Prime refugium the fan is going 24/7 from the looks of it. Even when the light is off..

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you change the angle of the light so it's more horizontal? That might help if the bearings on the fan motor are going. Do you run it all the time with the screen off? Make sure the fan can spin freely too when it's off and something isn't jammed in there between the blades and cooling fins.

OP
OP
Jjd531

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you change the angle of the light so it's more horizontal? That might help if the bearings on the fan motor are going. Do you run it all the time with the screen off? Make sure the fan can spin freely too when it's off and something isn't jammed in there between the blades and cooling fins.
No no, never keep it without the screen, I only did that for the purpose of the video. I cleaned it out as well as I could with q tips. Also I do keep the light horizontal, again it was only hanging because I was cleaning it, its now back into place.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use cheap bearings. Call them for a warranty replacement, or buy a new fan. They are pretty cheap.

OP
OP
Jjd531

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this issue with my lights every now and then. I open the app and keep restarting them until they stop making noise. Really annoying
I didnt think this was gonna do anything till I tried it... it seems stable for now, I turned the light to max and am letting the fan run full speed a while to see what happens and if the noise starts back up. Holy crap I still can't believe the multiple restart fixed it for now.
Still gonna send AI that video and see if they won't send me new bearing or fan or whatever. If your still under warranty I'd suggest doing the same. I'm mostly just worried if it starts back up again that I won't be around and it'll cause mechanical damage to the point its not working anymore at all.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt think this was gonna do anything till I tried it... it seems stable for now, I turned the light to max and am letting the fan run full speed a while to see what happens and if the noise starts back up. Holy crap I still can't believe the multiple restart fixed it for now.
Still gonna send AI that video and see if they won't send me new bearing or fan or whatever. If your still under warranty I'd suggest doing the same. I'm mostly just worried if it starts back up again that I won't be around and it'll cause mechanical damage to the point its not working anymore at all.
It will eventually get bad enough that stopping and starting the fan will not get the bearings to quiet down and sooner or later it will stop spinning all together. I have one on my printer that is a little noisy when first powered up, and then a tap or two after running for a minute and it goes quiet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back