ai prime hd lighting for jbj nano 24

worstcaseontario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, this is my first post.

so i've a JBJ 24 nano. I'm running a ai prime hd for lighting. I know realistically I am going to have to likely upgrade to a higher powered light. My question being is that my tank is a mixed reef currently, will be going sps dominant shortly though. Everything that is currently in the tank in regards to sps, they are all roughly 1.5 inch frags, most have encrusted the plugs they are on. If there is a ballpark answer. How long can i realistically run the light i have now before i should get a new light? im looking at the xr15 g6 blue. Will that be sufficient or should i look at something more?

Thank you for your time and help!

Cheers

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so i've a JBJ 24 nano. I'm running a ai prime hd for lighting. I know realistically I am going to have to likely upgrade to a higher powered light. My question being is that my tank is a mixed reef currently, will be going sps dominant shortly though. Everything that is currently in the tank in regards to sps, they are all roughly 1.5 inch frags, most have encrusted the plugs they are on. If there is a ballpark answer. How long can i realistically run the light i have now before i should get a new light? im looking at the xr15 g6 blue. Will that be sufficient or should i look at something more?

Cheers
Why do you think you’ll need a higher powered light? A AI Prime 16 should be fine. Here is a link to Karen Vazquez on the AI website showing her JBJ 28 under the Signature Series tanks using one AI Prime

OP
OP
W

worstcaseontario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I feel I may need a stronger light is from going sps dominant. I wish my light was the hd16. Unfortunately I have the older prime hd. It ran on a old tank I had for about 5 years. Was running fairly high too. Thank you for the link! I am going to have a look at it!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 16hds on a 20g nano cube.
First 4 at 100%. The rest at 50%.
1hr ramp up/down 10hrs peak and your good to go.
90% sps.
20220926_094502.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going with sps dominate I would do the xr15 pro because it has a whiter spectrum.
You can get as white as you want with the 16hds. My other 30g tank with my 80g next with xr15 blues.
Radion would be nice also.
20230215_153157.jpg

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers
Lets see it already. ;-)

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions are very nice and all. But it just stings for me to pay 500 for a light and then have to fork out another 100 or more for a mounting option on a nano tank…. I mean come on.

most manufacturers don’t include mounts with their lighting options. But over 100 bucks when you just charged 500 for the light itself. I’m good. On your size tank that HD prime will do just fine. Unless you just absolutely want the Radion. Go ahead and just pony up and get it. Because you will regret not buying it and go ahead and buy it in the future. Then you’ve wasted money.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions are very nice and all. But it just stings for me to pay 500 for a light and then have to fork out another 100 or more for a mounting option on a nano tank…. I mean come on.

most manufacturers don’t include mounts with their lighting options. But over 100 bucks when you just charged 500 for the light itself. I’m good. On your size tank that HD prime will do just fine. Unless you just absolutely want the Radion. Go ahead and just pony up and get it. Because you will regret not buying it and go ahead and buy it in the future. Then you’ve wasted money.
Get a used Radion grn 5 if you want one. I have 4 used xr15 blues. I paid around $350 each with mounts.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out that reefi if you’re about to fork over radion money. You’ll save 100 bucks.
Get a used Radion grn 5 if you want one. I have 4 used xr15 blues. I paid around $350 each with mounts.
I love my primes. If I ever spend big money on lighting for the 22 long. It’ll be Orphek bars.
But that’ll never happen lol.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount that Prime HD 10" off the water, get a PAR meter and don't look back. IMO, the HD is a better light that the 16HD in almost every way. If you really want to take it to another level, get a @luxdium replacement LED puck for it and watch things really take off.

OP
OP
W

worstcaseontario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see it already. ;-)
I shall most certainly get a picture and post when I'm headed out for work for the night later on today! Please excuse the algae on the back wall and some of the rockwork. I'm slowly winning out but it is a bit un sightly so I do greatly apologize now in advance.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back