AI Tank Rest Mount - 48" Blade

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I had purchased 2x 48" AI Blades. Little did I realize, 48" seems to be where the tank rest mount cutoff is when being bundled/provided with the lights.

I'm a bit unsure if 48" may result in unwanted bowing if used with rest mounts, but I would like a mounting option that provides a similar effect at least. I'm not particularly fond of purchasing a hanging kit aesthetic wise... (and I would have to check how well I could mount that given the location).

Are there any options to purchase the rest mounts separately, as I didn't see them (even as replacement parts?)? Or is there an alternative approach I should be taking to this? This is for a grow and a glow 48" AI Blade.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure what a grow and glow is? You need an "elevated tank mount. "

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I had purchased 2x 48" AI Blades. Little did I realize, 48" seems to be where the tank rest mount cutoff is when being bundled/provided with the lights.

I'm a bit unsure if 48" may result in unwanted bowing if used with rest mounts, but I would like a mounting option that provides a similar effect at least. I'm not particularly fond of purchasing a hanging kit aesthetic wise... (and I would have to check how well I could mount that given the location).

Are there any options to purchase the rest mounts separately, as I didn't see them (even as replacement parts?)? Or is there an alternative approach I should be taking to this? This is for a grow and a glow 48" AI Blade.
Or go with the whole hms aluminum mounting deal. That’s what I have

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the current kit. It was cheap and it looks good. Just use the screws out of the kit on the AI hanging brackets, they fit the slots alot better.
Screenshot_20231201_065457_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I want the blades flush and not hanging or elevated. Right now, they’re resting on a combination of the mesh and the edges of the tank as the blade literally perfectly fits that way.

I just wanted to add a bit more support if it was available.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I want the blades flush and not hanging or elevated. Right now, they’re resting on a combination of the mesh and the edges of the tank as the blade literally perfectly fits that way.

I just wanted to add a bit more support if it was available.
Ic ic, yeah not sure if just the regular tank brace mounts will have it bow too much but worth a shot, but I can't find the regular ones just the elevated mounts. https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/ai-blade-elevated-tank-mount-set-of-2-aquaillumination/

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 48" blade with the elevated leg stands. I've recently broke this tank down and sold it. Still have the light. Worked fine for me. I could even take the lid on/off without interfering with the light. They're nice lights,however the only thing I noticed that could be an issue for some is they can raise water temps by a degree or two because they sit low and I was only running one. If esthetics and controlling light spill into to the room are an issue these will help with both of those. These won't blind you while looking at your tank.
IMG_20231113_173544246.jpg

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 48" blade with the elevated leg stands. I've recently broke this tank down and sold it. Still have the light. Worked fine for me. I could even take the lid on/off without interfering with the light. They're nice lights,however the only thing I noticed that could be an issue for some is they can raise water temps by a degree or two because they sit low and I was only running one. If esthetics and controlling light spill into to the room are an issue these will help with both of those. These won't blind you while looking at your tank.
IMG_20231113_173544246.jpg
This doesn’t look nearly as bad as I thought it would although resting them on top like I have them in my pictures still seems cleaner. I like the mesh removal comment you had and heat was a thought.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn’t look nearly as bad as I thought it would although resting them on top like I have them in my pictures still seems cleaner. I like the mesh removal comment you had and heat was a thought.
I agree, But I had some jumpers in that tank. So the lid was a must. I didn't want to take the light off every time I needed to go in.Other wise I would have used the included bracket rests. I'm in a warm climate and keep the house at 74 most of the year. Heaters sit at 78. The tank would cool down overnight and would spike to 80 during the day. My 180 with reef breeders mounted 14" above maintains 78 year round. I ran 3 maxspect jumps on the 48" for a year prior to the blade and temp always stayed the same. In a cooler climate it probably wouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back