AIO or sump for frag/propogation tank?

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new, and thinking if I add a second tank it would be a modest frag/propogation tank, maybe 18-24 inches square 10-14 inches deep. I see LOTS of acrylic AIO in this size, but I think I want a sump. Also, not a lot of glass in this size. What would you recommend? Glass or acrylic? AIO ot sump? Best depth (not just to display frags, but also grow them out a bit)? Please let me know what has and has not worked for you.

My goals? Freedom to buy a coral without needing to have a place for it in my small reef. Learning how to grow and frag corals.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump add volumn which makes stability easier to maintain vs a smaller volumn where uptake of elements and nutrients and evaporation challenge stability. Some people would put a 60 gallon sump under a small frag tank just for the extra volumn and place for skimmer, live rock, and place to dose into.

But use the space and funds you have and learn as you go.

As far as depth, light penetration for sps makes shallow tanks desirable but for lower light corals more depth can be helpful. Same for height of coral you want to achieve. I like at least a foot of water in flats but lots of people use less. It is a lot nicer to reach into the bottom of the tank when the depth is less than 2'.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back