AIO outside the tank?

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just transferred everything from an established system to this 5 gallon shallow on my desktop. I'm not exactly happy with how I designed the AIO filter in the back. The display section is super cramped and I messed something up in the baffle design anyway. I've been thinking of possible design ideas and something that has come to mind is drilling 4 holes in the back glass and installing 4 bulkheads. 2 returns with random flow nozzles in the middle and two ghost overflow style drains on either side draining into an acrylic sump box behind the tank. I attached a drawing of my idea hopefully it makes sense. I like this idea because it should still have an AIO feel, but allow me to use the full footprint of the glass tank. I can go into plenty of detail about why I want to do this, but it would take too long. My main concern is will this design work and ESPECIALLY will the drains be quiet?

IMG_3818.jpeg
IMG_3862.jpeg

I've definitely noticed the pico ph swing issue with this tank and so I feel a large refugium like in the drawing would really help combat that. I have a ton of dragons breath macro algae.

OP
OP
Scotty LaBeouf

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other option would be to just make a custom acrylic tank with material from tap plastics. The only thing is I don't how easy acrylic scratches. Are acrylic aquariums not very desirable? I have built a few sumps and even a shallow reef tank with acrylic before, but I just cant remember if I liked the acrylic or not. And the footprint for a glass tank I would want to do this without the external sump box doesn't exist. 17"x17"x7" would be the rimless glass tank I would want.

Poliwag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along. Been thinking of something like this for a while now

OP
OP
Scotty LaBeouf

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along. Been thinking of something like this for a while now
I'm in the process. Have the tank drilled and sump halfway done. I'm going to start a build thread for it. I'll shoot you a reminder when I get that started. Maybe I'll get around to it today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back