AIO or SUMP? When every inch counts, what to choose?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i want to upgrade my small 16g with 12g sump system. Space is only 80x50Cm available. BUT i am a DIYer that like to add "automations" so i need lot's of space in the cabinet area (2x 25lt AWC container, 1x 25 liter rodi reservoir). At the moment AWC container are out of the aquarium and i don't like it.

I want to take a 35g and the choice is making it a AIO or keep going with the sump.

- AIO scares me since i have all the probes, hoses, etc coming out of it and i'm scared i will be needing a sump.

- Sump scares me since i will keep having not a lot of space in the tank.

What you guys would do?

ATM her's the sistuation in the sump cabinet:

1709327057267.png

Here is how i tought about a AIO: In the tank there will be automatico filter, skimmer, heater and return pump. In the cabinet i will have all the containers and electronics.

I tought about putting a couple of 20mm holes in the side of the internal sump in order to have a couple of hoses going down to connect them to a chaeto reactor. So that i don't have the 20mm hoses in view.

1709327377884.png

1709327407923.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd never forgo a sump when it's an option. Just way easier to keep equipment organized and hidden, and adds extra total water volume to system.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, an AIO is safer than plumbing a sump. I can't afford any flooding in my office, so I have my system set up to handle all but the worst catastrophe (seam break, glass break, earthquake). AIO has an emergency overflow, so even if filtration gets clogged, the water just goes over the AIO wall back into return pump chamber. If the ATO goes nuts, I have the tank over a galvanized steel pan that can hold 4 gallons of water before it overflows onto the carpet (my ATO container usually has 3-4 gallons in it).

In this case, the AIO is a better choice. But if not, I think a sump has more advantages.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back