WWYD?: ATO straight from RODI, RODI reservoir or separate ATO reservoir

Bartanto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to land on the most ideal way to design ATO system with ease and safety as the goal and would love some input! Will be supporting a Reefer 425G2+. Considerations: System will be on Apex (AWC via DOS). A 50g x 2 mixing station will be in basement which shares the same wall as tank/sump. Basement is ~ >50° during the winter, hoping small daily AWC will not affect overall temp and don’t know if adding unheated ATO will from same low temp room will necessitate heat in the system in some way, shape or form (probably will) during the winter.

Options I’m kicking around:
1: RedSea ATO+ pump straight into RODI container then ran through wall to sump (+ optical sensor tied to solenoid and/or float for redundancy)
2: Tank side separate ATO res for RS ATO+ either filled manually or automatically (filling automatically would just add more stuff to fail/leak and necessitate additional redundancy, so why not go straight from RODI reservoir)
3: RODI unit split off straight to sump (+ solenoid/optical sensor and float)
4:??

I don’t have a ton of constraints and want to do this right the first time, so I greatly appreciate all thoughts and input!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 or 2 will work. You don't want your RODI unit constantly running and shutting off.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my ATO pump from a reservoir and the reservoir auto-fill. I did this to avoid the TDS creep from an RO system continually turning on and off and I also believe it is safer because the ATO reservoir is very clean. Nothing but RODI goes in and there is a tight-fitting lid. This keeps sensors and floats much cleaner which contributes to the reliability.

OP
OP
Bartanto

Bartanto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 or 2 will work. You don't want your RODI unit constantly running and shutting off.

I have my ATO pump from a reservoir and the reservoir auto-fill. I did this to avoid the TDS creep from an RO system continually turning on and off and I also believe it is safer because the ATO reservoir is very clean. Nothing but RODI goes in and there is a tight-fitting lid. This keeps sensors and floats much cleaner which contributes to the reliability.
Thx! How do you autofill the ATO res?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx! How do you autofill the ATO res?
I don't even use an ATO. Mt statement was due to the function of the actual RODI. With constant on/off you will burn through your resin at a much faster rate. Best to flush before each use and run at longer intervals.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of the AquticLife Barrel Buddies with a float at the top. The Barrel buddie turns on when the low sensor is tripped and off when the high sensor is tripped making sure that your system isn't turning on and off continually. The float at the very top is just a back up incase something goes wrong.

OP
OP
Bartanto

Bartanto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even use an ATO. Mt statement was due to the function of the actual RODI. With constant on/off you will burn through your resin at a much faster rate. Best to flush before each use and run at longer intervals.
Understood - totally understand. ? Was for @MarineandReefJaron - sorry

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back