Freshwater Filter for multi-purpose

itzmrtristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Only my second research post on here but so far everyone’s been so helpful as I’m a new saltwater nano tank noob.

As my first tank is only a 10G, I’ve quite rightly been advised that splashing out on a expensive auto water change system is pointless, but I do still want to invest in a decent ATO, so the Red Sea 3in1 ATO looks appealing.

For a ATO freshwater reservoir then, I’m aware you can get RODI 4 stage filters to connect under a sink to create clean water, but am I correct in thinking RODI is not safe to drink?

My question really is, is there a water filtration system out there (that’s not so expensive I’ll have to re-mortgage) that I can connect under a sink that provides decent filtered water suitable for my reservoir AND provides safe drinkable water from the tap it’s connected up to?

Alternatively, if that isn’t doable, is there a form of water filter that’s not one of these massive 4 stagers that I could somehow apply directly next to my reservoir to just filter whatever’s in there? Like a filter that you attach to the line of an ATO so it pumps water into of the reservoir when needed and it has to go through the filter to reach the tank?

Might be talking crap here but looking for some advice :)

Thanks everyone

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rodi is safe to drink, but its completely tasteless and unsatisfying.

the smallest rodi unit is the ro buddy, thats what I use living in a condo and space is always tight. Its a 3 stage unit, its small and compact and can be stored away easily after use, it can connect to the sink or to the water source directly.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rodi is safe to drink, but its completely tasteless and unsatisfying.

the smallest rodi unit is the ro buddy, thats what I use living in a condo and space is always tight. Its a 3 stage unit, its small and compact and can be stored away easily after use, it can connect to the sink or to the water source directly.
no its not safe to drink. RODI is devoid of any minerals.

If you want to drink water thats been filtered by the RODI , you would get a remineralization cartidge that goes after the RODI that you turn on or off with a valve. or you would Tee it off before it goes to the DI, and use just the RO part for drinking.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that you take drinking water before the d.i stages. I have a 6 stage under my kitchen sink, which is convenient because the water line to fridge connects there. So ro water for fridge(tastes great), di for the tank

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no its not safe to drink. RODI is devoid of any minerals.

If you want to drink water thats been filtered by the RODI , you would get a remineralization cartidge that goes after the RODI that you turn on or off with a valve. or you would Tee it off before it goes to the DI, and use just the RO part for drinking.
This is my understanding. Basically it's too clean, no value in consuming. Something about the charge of ions pulling minerals from your body rather than supplying

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Only my second research post on here but so far everyone’s been so helpful as I’m a new saltwater nano tank noob.

As my first tank is only a 10G, I’ve quite rightly been advised that splashing out on a expensive auto water change system is pointless, but I do still want to invest in a decent ATO, so the Red Sea 3in1 ATO looks appealing.

For a ATO freshwater reservoir then, I’m aware you can get RODI 4 stage filters to connect under a sink to create clean water, but am I correct in thinking RODI is not safe to drink?

My question really is, is there a water filtration system out there (that’s not so expensive I’ll have to re-mortgage) that I can connect under a sink that provides decent filtered water suitable for my reservoir AND provides safe drinkable water from the tap it’s connected up to?

Alternatively, if that isn’t doable, is there a form of water filter that’s not one of these massive 4 stagers that I could somehow apply directly next to my reservoir to just filter whatever’s in there? Like a filter that you attach to the line of an ATO so it pumps water into of the reservoir when needed and it has to go through the filter to reach the tank?

Might be talking crap here but looking for some advice :)

Thanks everyone
Get a TDS meter to see what you sink puts out. Mine was not bad at all, so I just got a RO SYSTEM rather than RODI. You can not drink RODI as it has no minerals in it, and that is bad for consumption. But you can drink RO water. But you must know what your city water is first.

OP
OP
I

itzmrtristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I didn’t actually realise that a lot of the 4 stage filters connect T off your water supply and connect to your waste but come with a seperate hose to fill up RODI water rather than continuing up to the main sink above! So think that may be my easiest option

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back