AIO Refugium Wisdom Needed

PoeLagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any success growing Chaeto in the any back chamber of an AIO?

I have a 4 month old 50 lagoon AIO. The new tank algae is hitting the display. GHA is probably my biggest concern.

My plan all along has been to use Chaeto is method of nitrate export.

My first attempt was a big fail after just a couple of weeks. I was using the IM caddy in the 1st chamber. The result was the Chaeto was pushed to the bottom of the caddy along with some captured waste. I was running the IM ChaetoMax light about 10 hours a day.

I’ve since read on the algae barn website that they recommend the refugium being in the 2nd chamber of a sump area. (Algae barn’s: A Beginner’s Guide to Setting up a Refugium).

This past weekend’s project was to rig and test the growth within the 2nd chamber. I rinsed the algae and fluffed it a bit. I’ve cut and wedged a fluval foam pad at the top of the chamber to dam the Chaeto from entering the return chamber. Currently the chaeto is either floating against the foam or clinging to the block. The video shows it better than I can describe it. I’ve extended the light cycle to 16 hours.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Have you had success with Cheeto out performing the nuisance algae or even better preventing nuisance algae from growing in the display? NOTE: I have a bottle of vibrant for after Christmas if a refugium is futile in an AIO.
  2. With light spilling into the main camber, will this encourage nuisance algae grow in the back?

Any other suggestions from folks running a successful AIO refugium are welcome.

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you decide? I have a fusion 40 aio and have been running chaeto in one of the first baskets with the same light for 3 months with great results.

OP
OP
P

PoeLagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you decide? I have a fusion 40 aio and have been running chaeto in one of the first baskets with the same light for 3 months with great results.
This setup didn't last very long, maybe 1-2 weeks. I started experiencing hair algae within the camber and the beginning stages of algae within the return area. I spent a weekend doing a deep clean of the sump area and removed the chaeto and started dosing Vibrant until I can figure something else out. When I removed the chaeto, there were parts that were almost gunky. Can you tell me more about your setup? I do want to go this route long term. On my first go around, I used a media basket with IM filter balls on top and then chaeto in the remaining area. I was using the IM chaeto grow light for maybe 10 hours at night.

OP
OP
P

PoeLagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• B4E32F7B-2837-4105-BC34-AE8A66EBD55D.jpeg
    B4E32F7B-2837-4105-BC34-AE8A66EBD55D.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 197

Wilson1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any success growing Chaeto in the any back chamber of an AIO?

I have a 4 month old 50 lagoon AIO. The new tank algae is hitting the display. GHA is probably my biggest concern.

My plan all along has been to use Chaeto is method of nitrate export.

My first attempt was a big fail after just a couple of weeks. I was using the IM caddy in the 1st chamber. The result was the Chaeto was pushed to the bottom of the caddy along with some captured waste. I was running the IM ChaetoMax light about 10 hours a day.

I’ve since read on the algae barn website that they recommend the refugium being in the 2nd chamber of a sump area. (Algae barn’s: A Beginner’s Guide to Setting up a Refugium).

This past weekend’s project was to rig and test the growth within the 2nd chamber. I rinsed the algae and fluffed it a bit. I’ve cut and wedged a fluval foam pad at the top of the chamber to dam the Chaeto from entering the return chamber. Currently the chaeto is either floating against the foam or clinging to the block. The video shows it better than I can describe it. I’ve extended the light cycle to 16 hours.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Have you had success with Cheeto out performing the nuisance algae or even better preventing nuisance algae from growing in the display? NOTE: I have a bottle of vibrant for after Christmas if a refugium is futile in an AIO.
  2. With light spilling into the main camber, will this encourage nuisance algae grow in the back?

Any other suggestions from folks running a successful AIO refugium are welcome.

Hey there ,

I am currently running a small chaeto fuge in the second chamber of my Waterbox 20 cube. At the base of the second chamber I have two bags of bio balls and then on top of these I have a couple small macro rocks. The Chaeto sits ontop of the rocks. On the rear of the aquarium I have the IM Chaetomax light facing into the rear sump via a hole cut into the black material on the aquarium ().

I have been running the system like this for maybe six months or so and seems to be working great. I run the light at night on an opposite schedule to the main lighting to attempt to stabilize pH. I also dose Brightwell Chaetogro daily to ensure the chaeto is getting enough minor trace elements and to ensure it's not stipping the tank and corals of vital trace elements as well. About once a month I remove a baseball size ball and let it grow back.

Cheers,

Sean

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there ,

I am currently running a small chaeto fuge in the second chamber of my Waterbox 20 cube. At the base of the second chamber I have two bags of bio balls and then on top of these I have a couple small macro rocks. The Chaeto sits ontop of the rocks. On the rear of the aquarium I have the IM Chaetomax light facing into the rear sump via a hole cut into the black material on the aquarium ().

I have been running the system like this for maybe six months or so and seems to be working great. I run the light at night on an opposite schedule to the main lighting to attempt to stabilize pH. I also dose Brightwell Chaetogro daily to ensure the chaeto is getting enough minor trace elements and to ensure it's not stipping the tank and corals of vital trace elements as well. About once a month I remove a baseball size ball and let it grow back.

Cheers,

Sean

Any ideas where to get that light other than amazon? it says its unavailable :S

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine directly from IM.

I have the IM media caddy, floss on top, chaeto in main section, marine pure balls below that. I think just 3. The trick, in my opinion, is the size of the fuge. Mine died in the 20g, but went nuts in the 40. Same light, just more space. Light is on 10 hours, reverse from main lights.

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine directly from IM.

I have the IM media caddy, floss on top, chaeto in main section, marine pure balls below that. I think just 3. The trick, in my opinion, is the size of the fuge. Mine died in the 20g, but went nuts in the 40. Same light, just more space. Light is on 10 hours, reverse from main lights.
Would u not recommend it then in the 20g? I was thinking of doing it chamber 2 as there is a new IM caddy for that slot.

OP
OP
P

PoeLagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there ,

Cheers,

Sean

What are you running in your 1st chamber? Socks?

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would u not recommend it then in the 20g? I was thinking of doing it chamber 2 as there is a new IM caddy for that slot.

In my 20g I actually had it in the second, with the intank fuge basket. No dice. It could've been multiple things. Flow through the basket, tank maturity, size. I know I had plenty of nutrients as algae was taking hold. Maybe the algae was sucking it up before the chaeto got it? I dunno. But it was brittle and looked similar to the bucket you had above, until I switched to the larger 40.

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Media basket conversion from Intank for my cube
There is also a larger one for compartment 2 I am eyeing for additional filtration of fuge. In the first one will be filter floss carbon and marinepure gems
1609875707189.png
1609875632763.png

Wilson1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway you could share a pic of your fuge setup on ur waterbox? Even of the hole cut in black material.
So here's the deal... my tank is against the wall and I'm also not taking my fuge apart but maybe these will help?

Attachments

• IMG-4168.jpg
    IMG-4168.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG-4161.jpg
    IMG-4161.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG-4163.jpg
    IMG-4163.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG-4166.jpg
    IMG-4166.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 181

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the deal... my tank is against the wall and I'm also not taking my fuge apart but maybe these will help?
LOL no that is fine. Was kinda wanting to see what it looked like. Really appreciate it thanks! No i have some idea how it could be done. And u see ok growth? Im mainly doing this in hopes of having tons of pods for eventual stocking idea

Wilson1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL no that is fine. Was kinda wanting to see what it looked like. Really appreciate it thanks! No i have some idea how it could be done. And u see ok growth? Im mainly doing this in hopes of having tons of pods for eventual stocking idea
yea I remove about a baseball size every month and lots of pods, although I initially stocked it with pods...not sure how long it may take to naturally colonize.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back