Aio tank start up

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2018
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
475
Location
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on building a 20 gallon aio. I'm buying sand and everything else for the setup of the tank. But plan on using the rocks in my sump. Do I still need to cycle the tank?
 
From my experience, starting off with live rock only experiences a "mini cycle", but if you want to add fish day 1, just add a little bit of prime in with them. I've noticed that ammonia/nitrite only blips then disappears quickly since the bacteria population is already there.
 
If you buy wet live Live rock then it should not need to cycle, if you start with dry white rocks then it has to cycle. But if your not sure, its very easy to test, just add a drop of ammonia and watch how fast/slow it drops to zero.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new