Aipstasia eating filefish acting odd

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I know, I know. They are always a little odd and funny. We've had ours for over a year now and never had any issues. Today she's basically stayed near the top in the corner of the tank all morning. Didn't even go after any food when I feed them. There's nothing abnormal about her looks but she just doesn't seem to want to leave that top corner of our tank today or be interested in food. I tried getting a picture but she's stayed pretty dark in color like when they hide so it's hard. Just wondering if there's anything I should keep an eye on or try to make sure everything is ok.

I have no idea if she's actually a female, but her name is Karen so..... (thanks wife! lol)

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you changed anything about the tank added corals or other fish?

Only thing that's been changed is putting the wave maker that had always been in there, back in. The controller had crapped out so we had to get that replaced. And of course the last couple hours she's been swimming around picking at the rocks like normal. I think maybe it was just a filefish, being a filefish. Someone told me it's possible she literally ate too much and was like a person, bloated and not wanting to move.

Oh our temp did go up a little bit the last day I think due to the heatwave finally hitting and up until now the AC vent in the dining room had been closed. I opened that up and opened the lids to cool things back down.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well she started swimming and pecking at the rocks like normal last night which was good. But I have not seen her yet this morning which is kind of odd since she normally sleeps up against the glass out in the open.

JustTheGirlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well she started swimming and pecking at the rocks like normal last night which was good. But I have not seen her yet this morning which is kind of odd since she normally sleeps up against the glass out in the open.

We have 2 of these filefish. One started acting abnormal yesterday morning as well and we're unable to diagnose so far.. She won't move out and about from her hiding spot(s) at all over the past 30 hours or so.. Keep us posted on how yours is doing and if you figure out anything particular to be the culprit!

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 2 of these filefish. One started acting abnormal yesterday morning as well and we're unable to diagnose so far.. She won't move out and about from her hiding spot(s) at all over the past 30 hours or so.. Keep us posted on how yours is doing and if you figure out anything particular to be the culprit!

So ours came back out in the late morning and acted normal for awhile and then has went back to hiding somewhere like she was doing this morning. It's weird for sure. All we can take solace in is that when she does come out of hiding, she acts perfectly normal.

Our parameters are pretty stable right now, the tank is a little cloudy but I think it's like dirt/particles and not any kind of ammonia or nitrate spike.

JustTheGirlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ours came back out in the late morning and acted normal for awhile and then has went back to hiding somewhere like she was doing this morning. It's weird for sure. All we can take solace in is that when she does come out of hiding, she acts perfectly normal.

Our parameters are pretty stable right now, the tank is a little cloudy but I think it's like dirt/particles and not any kind of ammonia or nitrate spike.

Yes, at least yours is still coming out a bit! Our parameters are stable as well with cloudy water from the goby doing its thing.

JustTheGirlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours died sometime today. Found it stuck on a wave maker :(

So sorry to hear.. :( Ours looked to be picking at the sand late last night, so we had hopes it was on the mend. But, unfortunately, ours didn't make it through the night either. :( Ours looked to be about 3.25 inches though, so we're hoping it went peacefully from old age as no parasites came off her in a last ditch effort fresh water bath and our water parameters have been good as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back