Aiptasia and snails

oldschoolgoods

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2026
Messages
20
Reaction score
29
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some snails yesterday. After adding this morning I seen a post on Facebook with a snail with something growing on his back called aiptasia. Anyways I thought I seen a growth of that one one of the snails I added last night 🤦‍♂️. I went home and looked them all over. I did find one with a brown spot in his back not sure if that was receded aiptasia. So I removed that one. Should I be worried. Should I add a peppermint shrimp or something to prevent a outbreak?
 
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, based upon your description of a brown spot.

If you did have one hike in, you will see it /them in the near future (or not). When you see them, you can add a shrimp, or just remove the rock or shell they are on? No need to react to a possible infection.
 
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, based upon your description of a brown spot.

If you did have one hike in, you will see it /them in the near future (or not). When you see them, you can add a shrimp, or just remove the rock or shell they are on? No need to react to a possible infection.
I appreciate that input. It was definitely a little branch looking thing on the back of one yesterday and that is the one I believe had the brown spot. I was like oh wow, look at he’s got something growing on his shell like a tail how cute. There is so much to learn now I’m doing my best to try to not do anything wrong. You have rested my mind a little bit because I have bad anxiety about stuff going wrong with this project.
 
Last edited:
A brown spot on a snail can be anything really unless you add an image for us to see - take it with orange filter and not under blue light please.

most likely an algae of some sort or vermetid snail - which you dont want in your tank. it can be easily taken off.
 
A brown spot on a snail can be anything really unless you add an image for us to see - take it with orange filter and not under blue light please.

most likely an algae of some sort or vermetid snail - which you dont want in your tank. it can be easily taken off.
There was definitely a branch on one yesterday I should have took a pic. I hope I identified the right snail and did right removing it. I wish I would have took pics today as well. I didn’t think but will next time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new