Aiptasia in chaeto

franx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a ball of chaeto from reef cleaners a little over a week ago, and yesterday noticed this unwelcome guest. I managed to pull it out along with a bunch of the surrounding chaeto, but should just I be discarding the whole thing? Is it already too late?

1C41CB20-113C-493F-B768-357F643537BC.jpeg

OP
OP
franx

franx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I haven't noticed any that have managed to hold outside of the one I removed. Which is now living in a little plastic bin on my desk, just because I can, and has since split into 4 or 5 little guys. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd scrap the whole ball and contact Reef Cleaners.
No idea what their policy is but if it's advertised as clean you'd think they'd replace it with an actual (allegedly) clean batch.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In our research, peppermint shrimp usually do a great job at handling aiptasia.

OP
OP
franx

franx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, it's been about 6 weeks, so I'm not going to bother requesting anything from Reef Cleaners. But I was pretty unimpressed with that chaeto - other than this aiptasia, there were at least 1-2 other macroalgae species in there (small pieces) that I wasn't able to identify, a feather duster worm (not worried about that), some kind of red sponge, and some tiny jellyfish (I don't think hydroid because it's free swimming) that's also done well in my on-desk aiptasia bin.

Since @AlgaeBarn responded though, I might as well mention that I received some Ulva from them last week, and that was a very different experience - I went through it very carefully and didn't see anything other than healthy looking sea lettuce.

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Our recommendation is to always dip/soak your chaeto in RODI water for 5 min, then rinse and then dip again for another 5 min. This really helps remove any hitchhikers from Chaeto and the Chaeto can handle it very well. You have to be very careful who you buy Chaeto from, we would speculate 75% of the markets chaeto in the hobby world was sourced from someones home tank so you just NEVER know. Our chaeto is grown in a system that only has fish/snails/crabs and NO CORAL, no red worms, CLEAN. :) Just be careful, not everyone practices the same processes and it can be such a headache!!!!

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping is reasonable to reduce some other pests, but 5 minutes in RODI will do nothing for Aiptasia (unless it is boiling RODI).

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No stopping aiptasia....even if you think you got rid of them all, they show up again in a few months.

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jmp998

Completely agree, this is why we said to dip 5 min and rinse and dip again. You are 100% correct but in the end if you dip chaeto long enough your chances increase and chaeto can handle it. We have seen Aptasia and just about every other hitchhiker fall off when dipping chaeto in rodi in our past lives before we started this business. In the end, you just never know, so be sure of the source. We have heard of hitchhikers from so many customers from so many sources (all the popular ones), and knowing their sources is key as well as dipping.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Reef Labs-sorry if it sounded like I was picking on you, I just did not want people to misinterpret that a short RODI dip (or any of the common coral dips) would kill Aiptasia. If you are growing your Chaeto in a dedicated system, that is commendable and definitely a step in the right direction for avoiding unwanted pests. I would agree that it is likely a lot of the chaeto for sale commercially is just being pulled out of sumps, refugiums, etc and may have various unwanted pests.

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jmp998

No worries, you’re obviously passionate about the hobby and so are we. Always good to ensure everyone is on the same page so no assumptions are made and negative results occur. :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back