When to harvest chaeto?

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium section is roughly 5 gallons in size, capacity. I started with a wad of chaeto around the size of a golfball a month ago and it is now taking up about a fourth of the fuge chamber….definitely growing quick. When should it be harvested? I know that the nutrients are sequestered in it so should I just wait until the chaeto starts to ougrow the fuge space?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium section is roughly 5 gallons in size, capacity. I started with a wad of chaeto around the size of a golfball a month ago and it is now taking up about a fourth of the fuge chamber….definitely growing quick. When should it be harvested? I know that the nutrients are sequestered in it so should I just wait until the chaeto starts to ougrow the fuge space?
When mine is taking up roughly 75% volume I harvest (throw away!) and leave about 50% volume full..

... by eye that is! :)

For me, that works out to be roughly once per 14 days in a large refugium under strong lights.

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine is taking up roughly 75% volume I harvest (throw away!) and leave about 50% volume full..

... by eye that is! :)

For me, that works out to be roughly once per 14 days in a large refugium under strong lights.
Awesome! Thanks for the insight!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for the insight!
Anytime! :) I am sure you can find a variety of opinions on this matter, some may be more qualified than mine- but this works for me! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back