Caulerpa vs chaeto ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to set up a refugium in my sump but there isn’t any chaeto readily available around here. And when it is they sell it at 25$ for a baseball and 40$ shipping….

So would caulerpa be a good choice, as good as chaeto ? I don’t want second best. If it’s not ideal, I’ll just wait until I can get chaeto. But I could get some for 10$ a piece tomorrow so that’s a plus.

I’m going to be using the Tunze refugium light. I’ll start with one and if not enough, I’ll add a second one. There is no light spill in my refugium, except on top of course.

Thanks !

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i've read many success stories on the caulerpa. apparently it is more efficient than chaeto (in terms of growing and nutrient export) but can definitely go "asexual" and spread throughout your tank. i have no personal experience with this and have only ever used chaeto. if i had experience with shipping i would definitely send over some to you. i usually pull out about a 1lb size chunk every week and a half to two weeks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've read many success stories on the caulerpa. apparently it is more efficient than chaeto (in terms of growing and nutrient export) but can definitely go "asexual" and spread throughout your tank. i have no personal experience with this and have only ever used chaeto. if i had experience with shipping i would definitely send over some to you. i usually pull out about a 1lb size chunk every week and a half to two weeks

You can toss chaeto in a bag with a heatpack and it will do fine with shipping

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I’ve talked to an employee and he didn’t know what he was talking about so he told me to write his boss an email. I will then.

I was referring to the other person who commented that they could ship you some if they had experience with shipping

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caulerpa, lettuce, chaeto and red gracilaria in my refugium.
The caulerpa seems to the be the one I harvest most of.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caulerpa, lettuce, chaeto and red gracilaria in my refugium.
The caulerpa seems to the be the one I harvest most of.
if you got a trick that somehow manages to keep that gracilaria from somehow surviving and not getting out competed by the other stuff, please share…
Heck every time I attempted an algae mix (as oft suggested) I always end up with a mono culture of either Ulva , chaeto or caulerpa.

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is any truth to this. I was given some caulerpa from a coral farmer a while back. Ran it in my old setup for years with no issues. He told me to run the fuge light 24/7 to prevent it from going sexual. I absolutely loved it but now running cheato since it was available and also run the fuge light 24/7. Don't think you can go wrong either way.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you mean as a detritus trap? this is what i struggle with once my chaeto has no room to grow.
I feed my refugium with a ball valve off my main pump, and I just have to turn that wide open for a few seconds to flush out the detritus, pods and whatever else into the system which feeds the corals as a side deal, and then since it stays suspended, it's all in the filter socks a few minutes later.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I feed my refugium with a ball valve off my main pump, and I just have to turn that wide open for a few seconds to flush out the detritus, pods and whatever else into the system which feeds the corals as a side deal, and then since it stays suspended, it's all in the filter socks a few minutes later.
definitely taking this into consideration when planning my new build. good idea!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely taking this into consideration when planning my new build. good idea!
I just dosed a half gallon of pods, so I'm hoping to eventually see a bit cleaner sump...but like everything, time will tell. The flush method works great regardless and it's just a matter of turning a valve before you clean the filter socks anyway...

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in both of my refugiums - and not issues with caulerpa spreading beyond the fuge. Both seem to grow at about the same rate, although the caulpera is a little messier.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by being messier, what does it mean, maintenance wise ?
When you pull it out, it has a strong root system so it breaks up into pieces and can be a real pain. SO keep it out of your tank. But other than that, it grows fast when nutrients are present and I could care less. I yank a bunch out of the refugium every couple weeks with tweezers and wait for next time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back