Caulerpa Racemosa safe in my refugium?

GHogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble sourcing some Chaeto from a trustworthy source. I'd like to get my fuge up and running, and algaebarn has some Caulerpa racemosa for sale.

I've read about Caulerpa sp. going sexual, and some recommend 24/7 light cycle to counteract that. Im trying to gauge whether the concern to water quality is founded, and if the 24/7 recommendation is true then I'd also rather not go the Caulerpa route.

If Caulerpa isn't recommended is there an alternate source to algaebarn where I can get some clean chaeto?

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very different algaes. Most it not all Caulerpa sp are a nightmare if they get into your display.

I'd hold out and try to find a local reefer you can source chaeto from. (heck, if nothing else I'm sure you can find someone who will send you some for free if you pay shipping)

Mortgaged Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love caulerpa mexicana and prolifera. I’ve been keeping them for over 10 years in my refugium and they’ve never gone sexual. You can get it in eBay. Ask your local reef group. I would be surprised if no one in your area is running it in their tank. I have to trim mine back every couple months.

IMG_8530.jpeg IMG_8531.jpeg IMG_8532.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back