The Case for Caulerpa Prolifera in refugiums

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction

In the ever-evolving world of reef keeping, enthusiasts often encounter trends and innovations that promise to enhance the health and vitality of their marine ecosystems. With over two decades of experience in the hobby, I've learned to approach new methods with a discerning eye, relying on what has consistently worked for my reefs. One such practice that has stood the test of time for me is the use of a refugium, a vital component of my reef system. Traditionally, I employed chaeto algae in this role, but a recent experiment with Caulerpa Prolifera has yielded intriguing results, prompting me to advocate for its inclusion in reef refugiums.

The Journey to Caulerpa Prolifera

My current reef, now over three years old, shares the same characteristic of my past tanks—it runs exceptionally clean. This cleanliness allows me to dose nitrate and phosphate with precision, ensuring that my corals thrive at their optimum levels. Early on, I experimented with Caulerpa Prolifera in my refugium, but without success. Chaeto became the default choice, as it proved reliable and i could grow it very easily.

The Turning Point

Frustrated by the constant need to harvest chaeto, I introduced a sea hare to my system, which swiftly devoured nearly all the chaeto within a few months. However, upon the sea hare's removal, I decided to give Caulerpa Prolifera another chance. This time, it flourished. I began dosing both phosphate and nitrate to maintain levels conducive to coral health. Two years later, I noticed a spike in phosphate levels, prompting me to consider a solution.

The Chaeto Conundrum

In my quest to reduce phosphate levels, I contemplated the use of a phosphate-removing product, Phosban. Before applying this treatment, I examined my refugium and made a surprising discovery—chaeto had overrun the space. While I observed Caulerpa Prolifera growing alongside, it didn't immediately register as a factor. However, after removing the majority of the chaeto and leaving the Caulerpa in place, the results were astounding. Within just 17 hours, my phosphate levels plummeted from 0.5 to 0.04.

The Caulerpa Advantage

This revelation led to a critical realization: Caulerpa Prolifera had consistently maintained low phosphate levels in my reef system, ensuring the health of my corals. I suspect that previous phosphate spikes were a consequence of Caulerpa being outcompeted by chaeto. This theory was supported by ICP test results, which showed consistent phosphate levels after the removal of chaeto.

Conclusion

While my experience with Caulerpa Prolifera in my refugium may be anecdotal, the results are undeniably compelling. This versatile macroalgae has proven to be a potent tool in maintaining optimal nutrient levels, contributing to the overall health and vibrancy of my reef ecosystem. As with any reef-keeping practice, individual results may vary, but I encourage fellow enthusiasts to consider the potential benefits of incorporating Caulerpa Prolifera into their refugium setups. It may just prove to be the missing piece for a thriving and balanced marine environment.

Lastly, a crucial point to emphasize. The sudden drop in phosphate levels wasn't solely due to the removal of chaeto, as evidenced by the fact that I never experienced a phosphate issue until recently. This shift in nutrient levels coincided with the predominance of Caulerpa Prolifera in my refugium, reflecting the conditions that had previously necessitated nutrient dosing. This observation further underscores the significant impact Caulerpa Prolifera has had on maintaining a balanced and thriving reef ecosystem in my setup.

My 3 year old

Last edited:

Yodaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m quite intrigued by giving caulerpa a shot in my refugium, as I’ve tried chaeto a couple times without great success. Trying to keep the chaeto alive has been my trouble.

How large is your system, and how much caulerpa is in your refugium?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m quite intrigued by giving caulerpa a shot in my refugium, as I’ve tried chaeto a couple times without great success. Trying to keep the chaeto alive has been my trouble.

How large is your system, and how much caulerpa is in your refugium?
My system is roughly 300 gallons... i posted a video in the original post. My fuge is divorced from the sump and its around 25 gallons on its own. Below is a picture of my sump and fuge.... this image doesnt reflect what the fuge looks like today.... however you get the point

20220725_184933.jpg

Last edited:

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issues with Caluerpa, in its various forms, is well published that it can be unstable. If Caluerpa goes sexual, or something happens to it causing it to die. It releases everything it has removed from the water back into the water in one big dump.

Chaeto doesn't go sexual and doesn't crash all at once. Which gives it alot more stability long term in keeping things stable.

While your system showed that chaeto wasn't handling your phosphates, it has been documented in many systems to do so very well.

The efficiency of Chaeto vs Caluerpa is very different. Chaeto as it grows, grows around itself, making it bigger but not necessarily as efficient at exporting because the chaeto is growing over itself and shading itself inhibiting photosysnthesis.

If the chaeto you were growing was not being tumbled correctly it could have been very very dense, and if very large, it might have had a ton of phosphates trapped within the chaeto ball, not within the chaeto itself. And removing your large chaeto mass was the same as vacumming out the detritus of the sump - Leading to your overnight drop in phos.

I'm not discounting your findings/results at all, but they may not be occuring for the reasons you believe. And Chaeto still takes away any risk of a plant dying which could wipe out your system over night.

Also caluerpa is great because it is a very efficient grower and exporter. But it is also very invasive. That's why its outlawed in California, because the lil bits and pieces released by hobbyists that made it into local water ways took over bays and estuaries and out competed all native plants and algaes. I believe this has occurred in areas of Florida and LA as well but has not been outlawed.

Dave B

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ I second this.
Had Caulerpa when I was living in different state and my experience is that it can take over your whole sump. It got into my DT too, but I guess tangs controlled it. Now , neither can I have it as I live in California, nor I have desire to grow it.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used caulepra in my fuge for a little while, lfs gave me a single piece and it quickly grew into about 30 leaves with runners covering rock I stuck it next to. But mine was showing signs of going sexual, I kept pulling leaves, but it would shoot more up and start showing signs of going sexual again, so I pulled it.

It was cool while I had it, my lfs uses a bunch of it that has grown into a large ball about the entire volume of a 20gal tank, they have 2 of them now. They move it between their tanks, I assume based on nutrient control of their displays.

I wonder if I kept it from attacking to anything, as my LFS does, if it would prevent sexual reproduction.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back