Caulerpa questions

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I recently purchased some caulerpa from Reef cleaners. 2 different types, I got some caulerpa grapes and some palm caulerpa. My plan is to put it my display tank. I know that my tang, coral beauty angel and foxface will all eat it, and I am fine with that. I already talked with Vetteguy about this, he called it salad :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: But I have heard stories about how invasive some caulerpa can be. IS my plan bad? I do not have a fuge, and I really like the double duty of this algae. It can feed some of my fish a treat as well as nutrient / CO2 export. I feel as though I can keep up with any overgrowth, but a lot of people say to say away from it in the display due to how invasive it can be.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep up with pulling excess out and the fish help, it should be fine. You will want to keep up with pulling out excess because sometimes it can go sexual and pollute the tank. I keep it with seahorses and I have never had any issues with it. It is actually a very good looking algae. It does really well in a high nutrient tank.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep up with pulling excess out and the fish help, it should be fine. You will want to keep up with pulling out excess because sometimes it can go sexual and pollute the tank. I keep it with seahorses and I have never had any issues with it. It is actually a very good looking algae. It does really well in a high nutrient tank.
awesome thank you.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it! Too few tanks have macro algae. The biggest event you should get is if/when it goes sexual and dumps its spawn and bioload into the water column. It is not as big a deal as many make it. Everyday Aquarist goes into it here:

JustMarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back