Should I try Flucanozole?

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting mixed signals on whether I should try Flucanozole in my 90 gallon tank. I have scattered patches of turf algae that are very hard to scrub off. They are very slow growing and are not a huge aesthetic issue but I'd rather it not be there. More concerning is the gradual appearance of bryopsis on my back glass and a little on live rock. It's not spreading fast. This could be due to my riproaring chaeto and caulerpa growth in my fuge.

My tendency is to run as natural of an aquarium as possible with thriving microflora and fauna and I hate the idea of killing off some of that. And I also have a some beautiful red macro algae in my DT that I want to preserve. But my thought is that if I take out the turf and bryopsis now, it will be very slow to return due to my rapidly proliferating chaeto.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with your gut. If it's slow growing and easily managed, why muck with it and possibly throw what sounds like a well balanced tank off track. The only time I recommend harsher treatments is when the pest is out competing or out right wiping out the good stuff. Turf algae is nothing to really worry about - get a few more snails and manually remove the bryopsis. Keep an eye on things...if it starts getting out of control, then reevaluate. Anti-fungals and algaecides are useful but only as a last resort and will often have unintended consequences.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back