Aiptasia in filter solution?

MHTorringjan

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2023
Messages
9
Reaction score
5
Location
RDU
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all,

Several months ago, I set up an experiment to deal with elevated nutrients in DT, added an HOB filled with chaeto and a light. The experiment doesn’t seem to have worked; phosphates still ungodly high but stable and as a bonus, I found the algae had been home to aiptasia (yay). I haven’t seen any in the tank yet, so hopefully it’s contained but I’m monitoring.

I removed the offending device entirely, scraped the two nems that were attached to the wall of the filter (they’re banished to my waste container full of dirty water, no light, and high nitrogen from the waste; I just wanna see how long they’ll last) and stored the HOB dry.

If I want to use that HOB again, will I have to worry about the aiptasia returning on its own, and should I do any special cleaning? Or should the lack of water be good enough?

TIA!
 
Hi, all,

Several months ago, I set up an experiment to deal with elevated nutrients in DT, added an HOB filled with chaeto and a light. The experiment doesn’t seem to have worked; phosphates still ungodly high but stable and as a bonus, I found the algae had been home to aiptasia (yay). I haven’t seen any in the tank yet, so hopefully it’s contained but I’m monitoring.

I removed the offending device entirely, scraped the two nems that were attached to the wall of the filter (they’re banished to my waste container full of dirty water, no light, and high nitrogen from the waste; I just wanna see how long they’ll last) and stored the HOB dry.

If I want to use that HOB again, will I have to worry about the aiptasia returning on its own, and should I do any special cleaning? Or should the lack of water be good enough?

TIA!
Vinagar, bleach and/or complete drying out of the HOB will ensure it does not live.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new