Aiptasia invasion on zoanthid

Adriifu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Recently purchased a small colony of zoanthids and found a few aiptasia anemones wedged between the polyps. Does anyone know how I could eradicate them without harming the zoanthid?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different methods. We tried kalk paste, lemon juice, vinegar, they all came back while irritating the polyps. My wife and manually cut them out, extreme but it worked. Bought a sharp hobby knife, a very bright led flash light and while she held the light I cut the aptasia out one by one out of the tank and leaving no tissue behind. After that our rastas exploded. If you go that route make sure you take proper precautions.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different methods. We tried kalk paste, lemon juice, vinegar, they all came back while irritating the polyps. My wife and manually cut them out, extreme but it worked. Bought a sharp hobby knife, a very bright led flash light and while she held the light I cut the aptasia out one by one out of the tank and leaving no tissue behind. After that our rastas exploded. If you go that route make sure you take proper precautions.
+1^^

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful if you do choose to use Aiptasia-X. Some zoa's do not respond well and Aiptasia-X has been said to cause some zoa's to melt. Refrag the zoas if you can quickly. Aiptasia will spread rapidly if not treated promptly. If they get loose in your tank Bergia nudibranchs will cleanup the issue thoroughly and eco

OP
OP
A

Adriifu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoanthid is being separated temporarily until there is no more aiptasia in sight. I was able to get rid of a few of them, but there are several that are really, really wedged in between the polyps. I’m scared to purchase a chemical that will only kill the coral, so I’ll probably continue with manual removal unless I don’t see improvement.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to remove a small one on one of my frags. I used tweezers. I hope I got all of him.
I
Ifound other critters on my frag too.

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing ive ever done in my zoa frag tank was to buy a few berghia nudibranchs. They eliminated every last one... Been super careful not to introduce any new ones on frag plugs. Moved the beghias to a friends tank to do some work there..

OP
OP
A

Adriifu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to remove a small one on one of my frags. I used tweezers. I hope I got all of him.
I
Ifound other critters on my frag too.
Yeah, I managed to remove one with tweezers, but I had to get the rest off with Aiptasia Away.
The best thing ive ever done in my zoa frag tank was to buy a few berghia nudibranchs. They eliminated every last one... Been super careful not to introduce any new ones on frag plugs. Moved the beghias to a friends tank to do some work there..
I considered this, but I would feel bad to let the nudibranchs die once they ran out of aiptasia to eat.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Aptasia is back .I didn't kill him. I also can't put animals in my tank that will starve. I'm gonna have to split the frag and tear it off. I have other choice .

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are they easy to catch? I know they are slow but do they show themselves pretty often?

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they easy to catch? I know they are slow but do they show themselves pretty often?

No, you gotta get lucky and spot one... They can be borderline invisible in my tank, but if you look closely at your tank every day you'll see them every once in a while and when you do, yoinkk!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back