Aiptasia invasion on zoanthid

Discussion in 'Zoa Discussion (CLUB ZOA)' started by Adriifu, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Adriifu

Adriifu Member

Hello. Recently purchased a small colony of zoanthids and found a few aiptasia anemones wedged between the polyps. Does anyone know how I could eradicate them without harming the zoanthid?

hdsoftail1065 likes this.
    Tags:

2. gibbs.david

gibbs.david Member

I’ve used Red Sea Aiptasia-X.ReefSafe. Works for me!

hdsoftail1065 and Adriifu like this.
  3. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Many different methods. We tried kalk paste, lemon juice, vinegar, they all came back while irritating the polyps. My wife and manually cut them out, extreme but it worked. Bought a sharp hobby knife, a very bright led flash light and while she held the light I cut the aptasia out one by one out of the tank and leaving no tissue behind. After that our rastas exploded. If you go that route make sure you take proper precautions.

4. Adriifu

Adriifu Member

All right, thanks. I’ll see what I can do.

Lovemyreef2015 and DSC reef like this.
  5. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Reefing Mom! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

+1^^

DSC reef likes this.
  6. JustDewwit

JustDewwit One frag at a time R2R Supporter

Be careful if you do choose to use Aiptasia-X. Some zoa's do not respond well and Aiptasia-X has been said to cause some zoa's to melt. Refrag the zoas if you can quickly. Aiptasia will spread rapidly if not treated promptly. If they get loose in your tank Bergia nudibranchs will cleanup the issue thoroughly and eco

DSC reef likes this.
  7. Adriifu

Adriifu Member

The zoanthid is being separated temporarily until there is no more aiptasia in sight. I was able to get rid of a few of them, but there are several that are really, really wedged in between the polyps. I’m scared to purchase a chemical that will only kill the coral, so I’ll probably continue with manual removal unless I don’t see improvement.

8. Dondante

Dondante Active Member

I just tried to remove a small one on one of my frags. I used tweezers. I hope I got all of him.
    I
    Ifound other critters on my frag too.

Adriifu likes this.
  9. 305Reefer

305Reefer Active Member

The best thing ive ever done in my zoa frag tank was to buy a few berghia nudibranchs. They eliminated every last one... Been super careful not to introduce any new ones on frag plugs. Moved the beghias to a friends tank to do some work there..

DSC reef, Adriifu and Dondante like this.
  10. Adriifu

Adriifu Member

Yeah, I managed to remove one with tweezers, but I had to get the rest off with Aiptasia Away.
    I considered this, but I would feel bad to let the nudibranchs die once they ran out of aiptasia to eat.

Dondante likes this.
  11. Dondante

Dondante Active Member

Update Aptasia is back .I didn't kill him. I also can't put animals in my tank that will starve. I'm gonna have to split the frag and tear it off. I have other choice .

Adriifu likes this.
  12. Dondante

Dondante Active Member

Are they easy to catch? I know they are slow but do they show themselves pretty often?

Adriifu likes this.
  13. 305Reefer

305Reefer Active Member

No, you gotta get lucky and spot one... They can be borderline invisible in my tank, but if you look closely at your tank every day you'll see them every once in a while and when you do, yoinkk!!

Dondante likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted