Aiptasia, right?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0594.jpg

Came in on some Gulf live rock. Aiptasia genus, right? It's almost navy-blue in the center.

If I remember right, the really invasive aiptasia species isn't found in the Gulf. If I move this to a 'fuge, will it spore everywhere and get back into the main tank, or will it just stay there? I kinda want to see if i can move it alive. Sort of handsome, as aiptasia go.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0594.jpg

Came in on some Gulf live rock. Aiptasia genus, right? It's almost navy-blue in the center.

If I remember right, the really invasive aiptasia species isn't found in the Gulf. If I move this to a 'fuge, will it spore everywhere and get back into the main tank, or will it just stay there? I kinda want to see if i can move it alive. Sort of handsome, as aiptasia go.
No, it’s a lightbulb anemone … Doesn’t reproduce at the same rate as Aiptasia.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0594.jpg

They are kinda of like RFA. They can move but don’t move a lot. They won’t float in water column..(I’ve never seen them) If they want better light or flow they will move. I’ve had them for 2+ years and have never had a problem.
F8755964-2F37-4860-9E6E-70C1C7C16FEE.jpeg

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, okay, neat. I guess I'll leave this one in, then.

Any idea how big they get? I'm seeing some pics online that look fairly similar, and have grown reasonably large. I may want to move it out of the main tank if it's going to get big enough to potentially sting something; I have some tiny blennies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back