Aiptasia or another pest anemone?

amante3456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

This is my first post on any kind of forum, so I apologize for any mistakes. I discovered this little anemone 3 months ago and have been struggling to ID it. It doesn't look like aiptasia from pictures I've been looking at but I'm still fairly new to the hobby and haven't seen aiptasia in person before.

The anemone is smaller than a centimeter wide right now and (as far as I can tell) it's the only one and has not spread. I have not added anything new to the tank since July 2023, so it must have hitchhiked in then. It also has not moved since I first found it.

PXL_20240403_200700472.jpg
PXL_20240403_200643657.jpg

For size reference, the lovely vermetid snails are the small variety, like the thickness of mechanical pencil lead.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all,

This is my first post on any kind of forum, so I apologize for any mistakes. I discovered this little anemone 3 months ago and have been struggling to ID it. It doesn't look like aiptasia from pictures I've been looking at but I'm still fairly new to the hobby and haven't seen aiptasia in person before.

The anemone is smaller than a centimeter wide right now and (as far as I can tell) it's the only one and has not spread. I have not added anything new to the tank since July 2023, so it must have hitchhiked in then. It also has not moved since I first found it.

PXL_20240403_200700472.jpg
PXL_20240403_200643657.jpg

For size reference, the lovely vermetid snails are the small variety, like the thickness of mechanical pencil lead.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!
The mouth and pattern represents a curlique which many years ago like the condylactus was a commonly purchased specimen. They are ornamental and basic care

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back