Help with id please

Artistic Oceans

View Badges
Reaction score
6820 W Sahara Ave #3, Las Vegas, NV 89146
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this aiptasia or something? I have a brand new 20g I just finished cycling. Dry rock and sand... completely dead tank besides some bacteria in a bottle. I added a clownfish and yasha goby and a shrimp yesterday that just got out of quarantine and saw this on the glass.

It didn't move which made me think anemone but its a different color than I've seen and is super small (maybe 3mm total across).

Also besides ID, any guesses how it got into the tank?!

IMG_9250.JPG IMG_9251.JPG

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell exactly what it is but bigger question is how it got into your tank. Only thing I can think of is maybe attached to your shrimp?

OP
OP
Artistic Oceans

Artistic Oceans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance of pics of the other side of the critter?
I tried but cant get a picture there is just a reflection there, it doesn't look like an anemone from the front... thought maybe a weird nudibranch but its not moving. Also I got rid of it already... not taking chances. Just super curious what the heck it is.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried but cant get a picture there is just a reflection there, it doesn't look like an anemone from the front... thought maybe a weird nudibranch but its not moving. Also I got rid of it already... not taking chances. Just super curious what the heck it is.
Well, you're definitely in the right line of thought with the ID there - either a nem or a nudibranch would be my first thoughts too. A pic of the top could have helped with determining which, but if it had a mouth in the middle, it would be a nem, if it didn't have a mouth but had rhinophores (the "horns" of a nudibranch), then it would have been a nudibranch.

OP
OP
Artistic Oceans

Artistic Oceans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're definitely in the right line of thought with the ID there - either a nem or a nudibranch would be my first thoughts too. A pic of the top could have helped with determining which, but if it had a mouth in the middle, it would be a nem, if it didn't have a mouth but had rhinophores (the "horns" of a nudibranch), then it would have been a nudibranch.

Well I guess if more pop up its aiptasia, if not.. maybe a weird nudi lol

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an aiptasia.
Id did not hitch hike on your anemone or fish. It may come with the water or in your bacterial bottle. Most likely in your bacterial bottle or part of your tubing or equipment that is not completely dry.
Best bet? your seed bacterial water. small aiptasia can float around in the water until attach to rock or glass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back