Colorado SB Kills Clownfish?

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi have a bowl set-up with 2 Colorado Sunburst, this set-up have been thriving for at least 6 months, recently the Clown that the anemone is hosting jump out and ofcourse died. I moved my favorite clown in, after 15 days with no signs of issues ended upside down and dead, last week I bough another clown, this time a maroon clownfish, the next morning it’s dead, got a replacement yesterday, i thought everything was fine because the anemone hosting the clowns and it started going in the anemone, woke up this morning with a dead clownfish too. I’m wondering, will an anemone kill a clownfish?

IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_2427.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, but it seems unlikely to me. I'd consider if the cause may be disease related (like velvet, for example).

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysterious! Cool little bubble of a tank with that pretty BTA in it. Parameters in your tank? What kind of circulation/aeration do you have. I am pretty sure your problem has nothing to do with the anemone. I think it is literally impossible for a BTA to kill a maroon. My captive bred maroons dove right into my BTA without having ever seen an anemone before and there wasn't a problem.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bubble connected to the main system through the filtration?
I would hope so or at least a decent sized fuge for the size

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you even have a clown in there? How big is it? 3 gallons? Is there even a filter?
I thought this too but looking at the tank behind it Im wondering of its a large bowl not smaller? OP?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this too but looking at the tank behind it Im wondering of its a large bowl not smaller? OP?
I mean if you look at the clown in comparison to the bowl, you can tell it doesn't have much space to swim in, and most of it is obstructed by anemone.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you look at the clown in comparison to the bowl, you can tell it doesn't have much space to swim in, and most of it is obstructed by anemone.
Yes I do see that as well. Its kinda like it is the height of the stand on the tank behind? Deceiving for sure. OP dont get maroons unless you have space, females are about 6 inches filly grown

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen setups like these on IG. They look awesome, but I always wonder the same thing (specs--filtration, size of bowl, lighting, etc.), but in typical IG fashion, it's always a bunch of show off pics and no info :(

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen setups like these on IG. They look awesome, but I always wonder the same thing (specs--filtration, size of bowl, lighting, etc.), but in typical IG fashion, it's always a bunch of show off pics and no info :(
Yeah, the aquariums the guys from "Tanked" set up looked awesome too... Lol

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Frank. At night no photosynthesis, everything use O2, even plants. Fish died due to hypoxemia. I have a 24 cube Oceanic tank that o used for QT. Only have a PH, full of LR cover with algae to acclimated fish prior to put into DT. I have to have an air stone to keep it well oxygenated over night to keep fish from dying at night.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back