Please tell me this isn't aiptasia

beepboop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discovered a hitchhiker in my tank this morning, hiding behind some macroalgae and next to a trochus snail. My first thought was aiptasia, but it seems to have banded tentacles? Is that a thing? Please excuse the quality of the video.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to tell from the vid, but yes some have banded tentacles. If you search for pics you should be able to positively identify if it is or not

OP
OP
B

beepboop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a curlique anemone. Dangerous, I don't think it spreads like aips though.

PS. these can pop up with gulf live rock.
I think you might be right! It looks more like a curlique than aiptasia to me. I don't have any live rock, but I do have several different species of macro. Any tips on how to eradicate it?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you might be right! It looks more like a curlique than aiptasia to me. I don't have any live rock, but I do have several different species of macro. Any tips on how to eradicate it?
The same as you would aiptasia. Kalk paste or superglue on the mouth

lemon juice might work as well. Applied to the anemone with waterflow turned off.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's honestly an anemone I think we'd see wayyyyyy more in the hobby if aiptasia weren't such a common pest. They're very visually interesting, hardy, and common. It's just hard to sell a hobbyist on an oversized bubbly aiptasia when they've got 20 more of them living in the crevices of their tank haha

OP
OP
B

beepboop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's honestly an anemone I think we'd see wayyyyyy more in the hobby if aiptasia weren't such a common pest. They're very visually interesting, hardy, and common. It's just hard to sell a hobbyist on an oversized bubbly aiptasia when they've got 20 more of them living in the crevices of their tank haha
Haha its banding is very cool. I’d keep it out of curiosity, but would be so sad if it killed any of my fish.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000003005.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back