Aiptasia and Berghia Nudibranch breeding project

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've been battling a fairly severe aiptasia outbreak in the display tank and getting my hands on Berghia has been challenging. That got me thinking about starting my own aiptasia and nudibranch breeding setup to both help myself and the local community. So here's the rough plan:

Setup Hardware
I've purchased (to start) two five gallon tanks. These are a little tall for my liking but they were the right price and a good way to get things going. I've added heaters to both to ensure stability within the tanks. I know it's not required but it'll allow me to introduce them back into the display tank easier and I had them lying around. I also included an airstone in each tank to help with flow.

For the Aiptasia tank I wanted to try a few different substrates. I laid down activated carbon in half of the tank and some seachem matrix I had lying around. I wanted to make it really easy for aiptasia to attach to the substrate and have it small enough that I could move to the nudibranch tank. This allows me to move individual anemones and then wash them out/dry them off once they've been eaten.

For the nudibranch tank I littered a number of frag plugs and tiles to get them an area to hide. I didn't have any dry rock laying around and I was worried about introducing pods with the live rock in my sump.

Move Aiptasia
I know cycling isn't mandatory for either tank but because I'm needing to grow out a decent amount of aiptasia while I wait to purchase the berghia I thought I'd just throw the aiptasia in and see how they grow while a tank is maturing. I've started pulling 10-15 aiptasia that lived in the sandbed of the display tank and tossed them in. I'll let the tank settle a bit before starting propagation (cutting, feeding, etc...)

Grow Aiptasia / Experimentation
Obviously to grow Berghia I need to grow a lot of aiptasia and this is where I'd like to spend some time experimenting. The first one will be with substrate. As I mentioned above I'd like to see if aiptasia grow better on activated charcoal, bio media or rock rubble. To start I'm going to add 5 aiptasia, roughly the same size to each section of the grow out tank. Every week I'll count how many are in each section.

The next experimentation would be around propagation and whether cutting, annoying (moving and touching) or leaving them alone produce faster growth. The general plan would be to get an understanding of growth by leaving them alone in the substrate test. Then thin them out and track grwoth by annoying them, repeat for cutting. These tests won't be perfect but I'm interested to see if it makes a difference.

Introduce Berghia
Once I've got a thriving population of aiptasia the plan is to introduce five berghia's into the berghia tank and start feeding. I'm not planning on doing any experimentation with the berghia as I don't want to risk it at first. Maybe down the road I would. The goal will be to grow, breed and keep a relatively small population (either sell or give away to local reefers) so I don't run out of aiptasia.

Here's some initial photos, I'm just starting down this path.

IMG_9895.png
IMG_9896.png
IMG_9898.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice
Berghia are nocturnal. they hide in rock work during the day.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a nice project, and I applaud the effort to experiment with Aiptasia propagation to try to improve efficiency.

Ultimately you will probably want to dedicate much more space to the Aiptasia than to the berghia-at least 5x more space for the Aiptasia than Berghia, as the latter eat a lot and grow/reproduce much faster.

As you said heater is not essential, but it does make a big difference in growth rate.

Are you planning lights over the Aiptasia? Not required but I think it improves growth.

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a nice project, and I applaud the effort to experiment with Aiptasia propagation to try to improve efficiency.

Ultimately you will probably want to dedicate much more space to the Aiptasia than to the berghia-at least 5x more space for the Aiptasia than Berghia, as the latter eat a lot and grow/reproduce much faster.

As you said heater is not essential, but it does make a big difference in growth rate.

Are you planning lights over the Aiptasia? Not required but I think it improves growth.
I didn't mention it in the original plan but, assuming I can consistently grow aiptasia and nudibranchs I'd expand the aiptasia tank to a 40g breeder. That'd give me roughly 5.6x the footprint of the current tank.

I do have an old AI Prime that I can hang over the tank to help them grow.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true, I was hoping the plugs and tiles would be enough but maybe I need to add some small dry rock.
The Berghia will be fine with or without shelter as long as they are not in bright light. Certainly they will hide when given the option, but they will still grow and reproduce fine regardless.

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon side definitely has more aiptasia now but they're all attached to the bottom of the tank. The aiptasia actually attach to the bio media which make them much easier to grab.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a happy slug, well fed.

Interesting that your aiptasia seem to like carbon. Others have posted similar experience, but when I tried carbon in one of my systems I didn't see any preference and it was just a mess so I eventually took it out. Maybe the carbon I was using was too small-yours looks chunkier.

Kyleovski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im breeding some berghia in a separate container and they have been eating and laying eggs like mad but none of the hatchlings seem to make it. Eggs appear to hatch but never see any babies

Any ideas?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im breeding some berghia in a separate container and they have been eating and laying eggs like mad but none of the hatchlings seem to make it. Eggs appear to hatch but never see any babies

Any ideas?
What do you have for flow (too much is bad)?

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any ideas?
Do you see any pods in the tank? Anything else that's living that could be eating the eggs? How long has it been? They're super hard to see for the first little while

Kyleovski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see any pods in the tank? Anything else that's living that could be eating the eggs? How long has it been? They're super hard to see for the first little while

Its a seperate breeding container. nothing in there except heater, tube for air, and saltwater.

Been few weeks now easily a month since the eggs hatched. Maybe water quality but it doesnt seem to be affecting the adults if thats it

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any ideas?
I second that Amphipods are really bad predators of young Berghia nudibranch and eggs. Unless you eliminate these pods from your tank, you won't get any baby Berghia.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find the adult nudibranchs for the last couple of nights. When I flipped over the airstone I found them and 5-6 batches of eggs.

IMG_0052.jpeg
They like to hang out in groups, and underneath that black airstone was also probably the 'darkest' spot they could find. Glad to see they are doing well for you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back