Aiptasia/Tank Battle

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm looking for help. I've been battling aiptasia basically since the tank started. The tank is a 75g display with a 40g sump (build thread).

I started with Aiptasia X, trying to get everything. It only got worse. Then I moved on to Berghia Nudibranchs. I added 3 at first, nothing changed. Then I added another 10. It's been 3 weeks since I added the second batch and theres still no movement in the number of aiptasia. Is breaking down the tank the only option? This feels really dangerous.

The tank also is just doing ok, it hasn't really been striving (coral hasn't been growing a lot) but nothing's been dying.

Tank Parameters (that I track):
Temp is steady at 77.9F (25.5C)
Salinity at 1.026 sg
Alk steady at 7.4
Nitrates are 0.0 (I've recently turned off my skimmer and removed filter floss to try to raise this)
Phosphate at 0.02

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of the berghias but they supposedly can take months to start working. I used a Klein's butterfly fish along with a silver scat and they wiped them out. Unfortunately they went after coral too. Not sure who the bigger culprit was for sure but I don't think it was the Klein's.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp can also work. Can we have some tank pics?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all, I'm looking for help. I've been battling aiptasia basically since the tank started. The tank is a 75g display with a 40g sump (build thread).

I started with Aiptasia X, trying to get everything. It only got worse. Then I moved on to Berghia Nudibranchs. I added 3 at first, nothing changed. Then I added another 10. It's been 3 weeks since I added the second batch and theres still no movement in the number of aiptasia. Is breaking down the tank the only option? This feels really dangerous.

The tank also is just doing ok, it hasn't really been striving (coral hasn't been growing a lot) but nothing's been dying.

Salinity at 1.026 sg
Alk steady at 7.4
Nitrates are 0.0 (I've recently turned off my skimmer and removed filter floss to try to raise this)
Phosphate at 0.02
AptasiaX rarely if ever works. Peoppermint shrimp may help or simply turn on corals especially zoa. Beghia are great until they starve.
Keep it simple: Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of the berghias but they supposedly can take months to start working. I used a Klein's butterfly fish along with a silver scat and they wiped them out. Unfortunately they went after coral too. Not sure who the bigger culprit was for sure but I don't think it was the Klein's.
Ah, I always heard it was weeks. Maybe I just need more patience. The three I'm pretty sure died out (were eaten). I acclimated the 10 better so maybe I just need to be patient.

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used nudies twice, yes I was aptasia free and reintroduced it. Ugh. They work, but take time. They have to start reproducing before they really take off. You will not notice or see one for probably at least a month or more. The eggs take about 16 days just to hatch. Give it time and keep peppermint shrimp out of the tank.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with aiptasia in my aquarium, and the only solution that worked for me was using peppermint shrimp. However, it's crucial to ensure you get the correct species of peppermint shrimp. There are a few species that look similar but do not eat aiptasia.

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp can also work. Can we have some tank pics?
I've never had luck with peppermint shrimp. They've never done anything.

IMG_9864.jpeg
IMG_9865.jpeg
IMG_9866.jpeg
IMG_9867.jpeg
IMG_9868.jpeg

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used nudies twice, yes I was aptasia free and reintroduced it. Ugh. They work, but take time. They have to start reproducing before they really take off. You will not notice or see one for probably at least a month or more. The eggs take about 16 days just to hatch. Give it time and keep peppermint shrimp out of the tank.
Are you ever able to see them or do the aiptasia just eventually disappear?

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that worked for me after a year-long battle was a combination of filefish and (3) peppermint shrimp. All were ORA (or maybe Biota) purchased through Algaebarn.

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ever able to see them or do the aiptasia just eventually disappear?
If you get up in the middle of the night you can see them. My current poulation has grown and I occasionally see them during the day. I catch 2-3 a week in my sump and relocate to the tank. Mine are now 5-6 months old. I have even started trying to hatch the eggs to grow and sell while I still have aptasia to feed them. My tank was pretty bad and they have reduced about 2/3rds of it so far. I started with 18 in my 120g.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity at 1.026 sg
Alk steady at 7.4
Phosphate at 0.02
Like @vetteguy53081 said, make a kalkwasser paste and cover each polyp with it using a syringe. Inject if you can. Just did this for a couple dozen paly polyps. Turn off all pumps for 20 minutes or so. Some reefers siphon off after treatment. I dont, it eventually dissipates.

monfilsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a high power laser to keep them in check. Only works for the ones you can see through the glass, but since I have a peninsula, I can reach most spot. I find that since the laser is easy to use and it doesn't have much prep/setup that I am more likely to get to them quickly when they pop up.

One very important thing when using a high power laser is to use high quality eye protection. Don't use the cheap $10 ones that some of the laser suppliers provide, they are not safe (trust me, I tested them as I am a laser physicist). I can send you links to where you can get good eye protection if you want... I see you are in Canada, so you can buy eye protection from Thorlabs. Never turn the laser on without eye protection... this includes kids and pets. A single blast into an eye will instantly burn the retina and means permanent blindness. Last note, the lasers are not very expensive, but good eye protection is, but it is worth it.

Laser is good on anything you want to zap... vermetid for example... I even zapped a crab that I couldn't catch.

I use kalkwasser paste on the spots laser can't reach.

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a high power laser to keep them in check. Only works for the ones you can see through the glass, but since I have a peninsula, I can reach most spot. I find that since the laser is easy to use and it doesn't have much prep/setup that I am more likely to get to them quickly when they pop up.

One very important thing when using a high power laser is to use high quality eye protection. Don't use the cheap $10 ones that some of the laser suppliers provide, they are not safe (trust me, I tested them as I am a laser physicist). I can send you links to where you can get good eye protection if you want... I see you are in Canada, so you can buy eye protection from Thorlabs. Never turn the laser on without eye protection... this includes kids and pets. A single blast into an eye will instantly burn the retina and means permanent blindness. Last note, the lasers are not very expensive, but good eye protection is, but it is worth it.

Laser is good on anything you want to zap... vermetid for example... I even zapped a crab that I couldn't catch.

I use kalkwasser paste on the spots laser can't reach.
Every time I think about getting a laser, I chicken out. I'd love some reassurance from an expert, if you're willing - any recs for a laser? Is it dangerous for the glass? Any problems with fish swimming into the laser, in your experience, especially knowing you should remove other pets from the room?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I think about getting a laser, I chicken out. I'd love some reassurance from an expert, if you're willing - any recs for a laser? Is it dangerous for the glass? Any problems with fish swimming into the laser, in your experience, especially knowing you should remove other pets from the room?
This would be my fear, the fish in the tank.

monfilsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems with the glass, glass is transparent in the visible spectrum, so light goes through it without any issues. It will reflect off the front surface of the glass, so wear an old shirt (long sleeve!) that you don't mind burning holes in.

Fish generally avoid the laser and stay away. If any come close by I just turn it off while they swim by. This was also my fear but haven't had any issues after using it regularly for a year.

You want at least a 5Watts laser or greater, preferably in blue since the waves have more energy. You want something that allows you to change the focus so you can make nice small spot size in different places around your tank.

Here is the one I have:

Like I mentioned before, good quality protective eye wear is CRITICAL. That means eye wear that have certifications that prove they attenuate the light to get it down to a safe level at the wavelength that corresponds to your laser. You want an "optical density or OD" of 7 at the wavelength of you laser. So for blue light ~450nm, the LG10 models in the link below have 7 for 190 to 534 nm. The LG12 are good as well. The laser you buy will not necessary be clean blue light, so be sure your glasses cover a range around the laser wavelength.

Good Glasses are worth it and more expensive than the laser... but how much are your eyes worth to you!

I think you know how much cats love laser pointers... lock all pets away while you do this. The light bounces off the front of the glass and will show up in the room behind you. So anything with eye balls (kids, pets, partners) are in danger. I only do it when kids have been asleep for an hour. And I keep it locked up so they can't play with it, cuz they will blind themselves permanently. High power laser is like a gun in some respects, if you can't use it responsibly and store it responsibly, then it's not for you.

If you want me to look over any lasers and glasses that you a considering, msg me I'll look at the specs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back