Berghia Nudibranch tank breeding

darkwaterperformance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main question is should I instantly cycle the new 10g berghia breeding tank with a piece of live rock from my display tank?

I set up a 10g tank for only Berghia nudibranch breeding with an air stone and a heater. Should i put a piece of live rock in the 10g Bergies only tank from my display tank to instantly cycle? I have a 20 gallon long tank that I have been breeding aiptasia for months now and have hundreds in there. I also have another 20g peninsula tank with about 50 nudi’s ready to be transferred into the breeding tank due to not having any more aiptasia in there for them to eat. I want to transfer the bergies into the 10g breeding tank ASAP to feed them.

My goal to keep my aiptasia population up is to only cut the heads off aiptasia and feed the bergies the aiptasia heads and the foot should grow a new head. Then regularly cut aiptasia in half or cut a couple tentacles off to keep them spawning and reproducing.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's not needed to be honest. I embarked on nudibranch breeding in December. I watched ReefDudes on YouTube and he doesn't even have air in his jar that he uses.

That said, I do have circulation and a heater in mine, but I just spun up new salt and threw in some media tiles and some Aquaforest bio rocks. If you add a live rock piece from another tank, you'll likely introduce amphipods and those will eat the eggs of the nudibranche spirals and lower production.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
darkwaterperformance

darkwaterperformance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not needed to be honest. I embarked on nudibranch breeding in December. I watched ReefDudes on YouTube and he doesn't even have air in his jar that he uses.

That said, I do have circulation and a heater in mine, but I just spun up new salt and threw in some media tiles and some Aquaforest bio rocks. If you add a live rock piece from another tank, you'll likely introduce amphipods and those will eat the eggs of the nudibranche spirals and lower production.
i started the tank with an air stone heater and a small bag of bio-media from one of my other tanks. The tank has been running for 12 days now and already have about 60 egg spirals. Everything is going good.

Upvote 0

Kyleovski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been breeding berghia in a container with just a small heater and airline tubing. Filled up with water from my tank. No media, the berghia seem to be happy and laying eggs and growing like crazy. Trying to grow aiptasia on the other hand is proving more difficult

Upvote 0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ive been breeding berghia in a container with just a small heater and airline tubing. Filled up with water from my tank. No media, the berghia seem to be happy and laying eggs and growing like crazy. Trying to grow aiptasia on the other hand is proving more difficult
It really is a simple process. I put a small filter and power head into the tank since I'm moving frag racks with zoa's or things into the tank to have the Aiptasia removed, so coral require a little more to the tank.

Upvote 0

Kyleovski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is a simple process. I put a small filter and power head into the tank since I'm moving frag racks with zoa's or things into the tank to have the Aiptasia removed, so coral require a little more to the tank.
Ye for sure if I was keeping anything like a coral in there it would need a filter. Maybe thats what I should do long term is put everything through a berghia 'dip' haha

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back