OP
G

gtguy256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added about 30 peppermints to my display to get rid of aiptasia that came in on live rock from TBS. Haven’t had a single aiptasia for a while and all my Coral seem unaffected. Maybe I’ve been lucky.
Where did you get your peppermint shrimp?
It looks like I can order 20 with free shipping from one place. I don’t know if I trust they’ll be the right type. I can buy the captive bred ones from algae barn, but they’re expensive.

OP
OP
G

gtguy256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, I could move all of my euphyllia and my bubble coral to my frag tank, and then put peppermints in the display

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your peppermint shrimp?
It looks like I can order 20 with free shipping from one place. I don’t know if I trust they’ll be the right type. I can buy the captive bred ones from algae barn, but they’re expensive.
I got them on eBay from Pick Your Addiction:

If you just type peppermint shrimp on eBay you’ll see his listings. I’ve had really positive experiences buying from him in general. Really standup seller.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them on eBay from Pick Your Addiction:

If you just type peppermint shrimp on eBay you’ll see his listings. I’ve had really positive experiences buying from him in general. Really standup seller.
This. I've bought rock from him for years now. Sometimes a little slow on shipping, but his prices can't be beat.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 Aiptasia and used Aiptasia X on them and they died, no new ones ever popped up. So it appearS that Aiptasia X in itself does NOT cause the Aiptasia to multiply, or else that would happen to 100% of tanks that used it to treat the pest. Clearly not the case. I still say pep shrimp is the way to go long term. I’m just not sure that they will eat the really Ig ones in your tank. Maybe they will.

Always remember, the only thing two hobbyists can agree on is what the third one is doing wrong.

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 Aiptasia and used Aiptasia X on them and they died, no new ones ever popped up. So it appearS that Aiptasia X in itself does NOT cause the Aiptasia to multiply, or else that would happen to 100% of tanks that used it to treat the pest. Clearly not the case. I still say pep shrimp is the way to go long term. I’m just not sure that they will eat the really Ig ones in your tank. Maybe they will.

Always remember, the only thing two hobbyists can agree on is what the third one is doing wrong.
I think one of the reasons most find AiptasiaX or similar products ineffective is that they miss a few aiptasia hidden under a rock or in some piece of equipment that then multiplies. Only effective if you can find every single aiptasia in your tank and kill it.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the reasons most find AiptasiaX or similar products ineffective is that they miss a few aiptasia hidden under a rock or in some piece of equipment that then multiplies. Only effective if you can find every single aiptasia in your tank and kill it.
I would agree with that 100%

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Joe’s juice or something along those lines a couple of times. Lemon juice directly in their mouths also works. The problem with any of those remedies is that you get the ones you see and/or are able to get to so you continue to have to fight them. Bhergia’s are awesome but super pricey and if you have a wrasse… they’re done for (with a goo proportion of wrasses). The shrimp have been a great solution for me and I’ve removed a few into a separate tank and they were fairly easy to catch so depending on the size of your tank that’s also an option.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The rock is the main reason I don't want to kill the old rock and replace, even though that would be simpler.
I completely understand, that rock has beautiful growth and color.

You could try this other method, but it would take some time.. I suggest using boiling water in a syringe, only do maybe 4 or so a day. But it's minimal impact on the tank, and very easy for you to do rather than kalk paste or other methods. Plus it doesn't leave any gunk on the rocks after.
I boil water in a "hotshot" and then inject it in the center of them with a syringe that came with some test kit I got a while go. 9/10 times it works on the first try, otherwise a 2nd shot takes them out. I like it bc it's easy, and effective.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lysmata wurdemanni are great for aiptasia and do not harm anything else. There are other Lysmata shrimp that work but may go after things even snails.

Reefin' rumors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty bad aiptasia infestation in my 90 gallon display tank.

I first tried aiptasia x, but i overdid the amount at once spiked the Ph and irritated my coral. I tried again using a smaller amount, but the Ph spike still took out my big birdsnest coral.

I have on two occasions added 20 berghia and there does seem to be areas that are free of the pests.
image.jpg

Unfortunately, the majority of the top faces of the rock are carpeted in them.

image.jpg

I don’t want to add peppermints or a filefish for fear of them going rogue.

I really don’t want to replace my live rock because it is so full of micro fauna.

image.jpg

I do have a mostly empty 40 gallon frag tank. that i could use to isolate several pieces of rock that have no coral on them. In the frag tank I could employ an army of peppermint shrimp or, a filefish, or both to eliminate most of the aiptasia without fear of losing any coral. then I would cycle the rocks through the frag tank and place them back in the display.

From there, I would hope to maintain them with aiptasia x in small doses.

I really don’t mind the hassle and my aquascape isnt glued at all so it would be simple to do.
I was in same aiptasia infested hell as you in January. Was contemplating on starting over but decided to try/buy berghia, peppermint shrimp and a Kleini butterfly and i am aiptasia free now. Only visible evidence i witnessed was the Kleini...lights on to lights out constantly hunted them all day. Wasnt even interested at feeding time.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty bad aiptasia infestation in my 90 gallon display tank.

I first tried aiptasia x, but i overdid the amount at once spiked the Ph and irritated my coral. I tried again using a smaller amount, but the Ph spike still took out my big birdsnest coral.

I have on two occasions added 20 berghia and there does seem to be areas that are free of the pests.
image.jpg

Unfortunately, the majority of the top faces of the rock are carpeted in them.

image.jpg

I don’t want to add peppermints or a filefish for fear of them going rogue.

I really don’t want to replace my live rock because it is so full of micro fauna.

image.jpg

I do have a mostly empty 40 gallon frag tank. that i could use to isolate several pieces of rock that have no coral on them. In the frag tank I could employ an army of peppermint shrimp or, a filefish, or both to eliminate most of the aiptasia without fear of losing any coral. then I would cycle the rocks through the frag tank and place them back in the display.

From there, I would hope to maintain them with aiptasia x in small doses.

I really don’t mind the hassle and my aquascape isnt glued at all so it would be simple to do.

Any thoughts?
trust me they are loaded up in your plumbing and sump they will come back.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in same aiptasia infested hell as you in January. Was contemplating on starting over but decided to try/buy berghia, peppermint shrimp and a Kleini butterfly and i am aiptasia free now. Only visible evidence i witnessed was the Kleini...lights on to lights out constantly hunted them all day. Wasnt even interested at feeding time.

Biological eradication is the only long term method IMHO. Ended up with a second Klein butterfly that rarely nips, best thing I could of did.
To both of you folks; did the Kleins pick on your Acropora after he ate all the Aiptasia?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back