Aiptasia control

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1711769130784.png
have one in my 210 and 75 gallon great for aiptasia. they don't go after any corals. Falcula Butterflyfish, True
May need to give that a try!

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts:
  • I like peppermints and keep them in every tank.
  • Aiptasia-X is the WORST. It literally grows the stuff.
  • You probably need to remove the wrasses for a few months while the berghia breeds.
Regarding aiptasia-x, I saw a video from BRS where Ryan tried to eradicate aiptasia with the stuff. He said every time he killed one, two or three more would pop up.

So, his next move was to assign the job to a staff member. He told them to use all the time they needed, just attack the aiptasia every single day until it is done. They tried and they failed. It just grew like it did in your tank.

Being a slow learner, I tried the same tactic. Just like them, my aiptasia multiplied.

I've defeated aiptasia twice and at this point I don't even consider it to be a difficult pest. My method is simple.

1. Turn off the flow
  2. Use F-aiptasia to kill every thing you can.
    1. If it drips on to a coral, turkey baste it off asap.
    2. The bigger aiptasias are your priority.
  3. Keep the flow off for at least 15 minutes. Let it harden a bit.
  4. Add 1 peppermint per 10-15 gallons.
That's it. Your problem will be 80% solved in one day. About 20% will come back or was simply small enough not to be noticed on the first day. You may do another round of f-aiptasia or you may let the shrimp do their thing.

A trip to the LFS and 30 minutes with a syringe of f-aiptasia and you'll have this mostly behind you.
This is exactly what I did. Now its just the one that pops up here and there. No issues killing one or two of them

Peterrdee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1711769130784.png
have one in my 210 and 75 gallon great for aiptasia. they don't go after any corals. Falcula Butterflyfish, True
I have a teardrop in my 210 fowlr and it hasn’t even looked at the aptasia growing, I think it’s too obsessed with me giving it food… should I maybe not feed for a few days?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have luck with CBB. A little patient and mine always take care of the aiptasia for me. This is a new gal. She, I hope, will take care of that aiptasia in the background soon.

IMG_1794.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back