Aiptasia Run Wild in Public Aquarium

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I visited the public aquarium on the weekend and there was a bunch of really nice displays. I did notice though that their big ocean style tank (you know the type you walk through with big sharks, rays, large schooling fish etc.) had almost every surface absolutely covered in aiptasia.
PXL_20211112_232221792.MP.jpg
PXL_20211112_231938274.jpg

Sorry, might draw some pitchforks here but... It does actually look kinda nice in the setting, and in the context I can't imagine it actually causes any real problems? They aren't growing any corals or the like in the big tank. Curious to hear some thoughts :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People half the time think corals are rocks so I doubt most visitors care. Honestly I bet people probably like it lol

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is insane! I think they need some file fish and maybe some peppermint shrimp in that tank. Haha.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the “context” of that giant tank / environment— and not something sitting in my living room— I love the Aptasia. It’s like spooky cobwebs in an old Victorian house. Lol. ;)
Well, get going on that "scare your friends with fake aiptasia" prop for next year's Hallowe'en tank -- there's only ten months left! I think you could do it with some aquarium sealant and food colouring. Today, Reef2Reef -- tomorrow, Dragon's Den! I will give you $10 for 51% of the company.

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the “context” of that giant tank / environment— and not something sitting in my living room— I love the Aptasia. It’s like spooky cobwebs in an old Victorian house. Lol. ;)
I agree honestly, it actually looked really nice... Glad everyone else seems to agree, half thought after posting that I'd be ran out of town by a mob ;)

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, get going on that "scare your friends with fake aiptasia" prop for next year's Hallowe'en tank -- there's only ten months left! I think you could do it with some aquarium sealant and food colouring. Today, Reef2Reef -- tomorrow, Dragon's Den! I will give you $10 for 51% of the company.
This is actually a hilarious idea for a prank on a reefer friend

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a hilarious idea for a prank on a reefer friend
I think that this should actually be a tank challenge for next Hallowe'en -- aquarium horror stories! Or maybe I'll just turn it into a costume! I convinced my teen to dress up as Carrie this year -- next year, she can go out trick-or-treating covered in fake aiptasia!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back