Sad News... Everything Lost

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone...
I Wanna share with you guys the recent experience that i had...

I have a some experience with reef aquariums already, so, it's commom to me to do a some moves,

I Just moved for another house, and last sunday i started moving my reef tank...
Everything was done, new water prepared,
but than, a some "bad surprises" start comming...

i empty the tank, remove the fish, corals, inverts, everything.
my reef it's a RS 450 - around 120g - so, i had prepare around 150 gal of saltwater to fill out the tank.
assuming that in real scenario with rocks, sand, and everything i'll use less than 100gal for the tank, i have more than sulficient to be prepared for the move,
SO, the firs bad "surprise happens"... - one of the container was damaged on the garage, and i lost all the water ( was around 6pm when this happened)
so, i was empty of salt, and it's no way to get another one on the moment to do more water, and i still had around 70-80 gal of water...

i put all the fish on a big container, with water, pump, and heater, so i can have everything ok to rebuild the aquarium with calm...
so, the next "Surprise" happens... - i drop a some food for the fish to see if they're calm, but i see that the water was not warm as it's supposed to be... so, i measure and was 74 - it's supposed to be around 78 - so i figured out and the heater have a problem and was not working well, so i switched for other one to keep the temperature well.

everything was done, when i filled the tank it's missing a some water to complete the whole system - so i left the sump withou work, and isolate the system on the main display, with the heater, pumps, eveything...

i go to bed, and wake up on the monday with the next "Surprise". . .
I looked for the display and see a "Faded Water" - looks like something happened and turn the water weird... but was late, all the fish was almost died already, so i start a emergency plan, remove the fish from the water, with the same salinity, temperature, but was late... lost ALL THE FISH

So, i test ammonia (due to a recent change on the aquarium), and it's not the problem.

My suspect is, i had a lot of rocks with aiptasia infestation, my son in law scrap one of the rocks to remove them, i've told him that it's bad and have to be treated, but anyway was not his fault, because i decided to wash it with the previous water and introduce on the tank.
So, maybe for the stress they had release "Toxins" on the water?!

For all the stress that i had on the previous week, with a lot of work and short time to move the tank, i know that i did something wrong on the process, but for now, the only thing that i can imagine is the situation of the aiptasias.

Well, now, i gonna restart everything, and step by step i'll have everything back...
If you guys have some suggestions to get ride of the aiptasias ( without change or remove all the rocks ) - i have no fish now, so, it's time to correct that.

Let me know what you guys think about everything.

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your experience and loss.
Time to rebuild and let the obstacle become the way.
Thank you for the support my friend, it's a hurt situation, a lot of time, money and good moments invested... but i'll move foward, rebuild and share with you guys the updates...

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss and I can feel your pain. I’m glad after getting knocked down you already got back up. I have had great success with Berghia nudibranchs for aptasia. Wishing you the best of luck.

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss and I can feel your pain. I’m glad after getting knocked down you already got back up. I have had great success with Berghia nudibranchs for aptasia. Wishing you the best of luck.
Actually i've tried the Berghias, but on that time, i had a Dottyback that i think eat them, they just disapear.
But now, maybe i'll try to kill the most with some type of product ( Like aiptasia X ) and after that put a some Peppermint shrimp to control the other that try to come.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i've tried the Berghias, but on that time, i had a Dottyback that i think eat them, they just disapear.
But now, maybe i'll try to kill the most with some type of product ( Like aiptasia X ) and after that put a some Peppermint shrimp to control the other that try to come.
Ya, don’t add berghia if you have peppermint shrimp in there the shrimp will eat them. Good luck.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone...
I Wanna share with you guys the recent experience that i had...

I have a some experience with reef aquariums already, so, it's commom to me to do a some moves,

I Just moved for another house, and last sunday i started moving my reef tank...
Everything was done, new water prepared,
but than, a some "bad surprises" start comming...

i empty the tank, remove the fish, corals, inverts, everything.
my reef it's a RS 450 - around 120g - so, i had prepare around 150 gal of saltwater to fill out the tank.
assuming that in real scenario with rocks, sand, and everything i'll use less than 100gal for the tank, i have more than sulficient to be prepared for the move,
SO, the firs bad "surprise happens"... - one of the container was damaged on the garage, and i lost all the water ( was around 6pm when this happened)
so, i was empty of salt, and it's no way to get another one on the moment to do more water, and i still had around 70-80 gal of water...

i put all the fish on a big container, with water, pump, and heater, so i can have everything ok to rebuild the aquarium with calm...
so, the next "Surprise" happens... - i drop a some food for the fish to see if they're calm, but i see that the water was not warm as it's supposed to be... so, i measure and was 74 - it's supposed to be around 78 - so i figured out and the heater have a problem and was not working well, so i switched for other one to keep the temperature well.

everything was done, when i filled the tank it's missing a some water to complete the whole system - so i left the sump withou work, and isolate the system on the main display, with the heater, pumps, eveything...

i go to bed, and wake up on the monday with the next "Surprise". . .
I looked for the display and see a "Faded Water" - looks like something happened and turn the water weird... but was late, all the fish was almost died already, so i start a emergency plan, remove the fish from the water, with the same salinity, temperature, but was late... lost ALL THE FISH

So, i test ammonia (due to a recent change on the aquarium), and it's not the problem.

My suspect is, i had a lot of rocks with aiptasia infestation, my son in law scrap one of the rocks to remove them, i've told him that it's bad and have to be treated, but anyway was not his fault, because i decided to wash it with the previous water and introduce on the tank.
So, maybe for the stress they had release "Toxins" on the water?!

For all the stress that i had on the previous week, with a lot of work and short time to move the tank, i know that i did something wrong on the process, but for now, the only thing that i can imagine is the situation of the aiptasias.

Well, now, i gonna restart everything, and step by step i'll have everything back...
If you guys have some suggestions to get ride of the aiptasias ( without change or remove all the rocks ) - i have no fish now, so, it's time to correct that.

Let me know what you guys think about everything.
So sorry to hear about that. Take this loss as an encouragement to have a tank that is even better than this one! Setbacks only help us grow to love something more

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost a week after…
Getting ride of the aiptasias…
And my GSP - a big piece of GSP refuse to open

Attachments

• IMG_5874.jpeg
    IMG_5874.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 17

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back