Aiptasia??

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone provide a positive ID on this anemone? It popped up about 8 months ago and as far as I can tell is an aiptasia. But it doesn't seem to act like one. It's never moved, never reproduced and doesn't harass any of the other tank occupants. Overall height is around 3", with its trunk being close to 3/8" dia. Any info will be appreciated.
Aiptasia.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a species of appy. Eventually there will be more. I remember watching one, wondering the same myself..... they came in time. I've had that exact type.

OP
OP
Todd A.

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a species of appy. Eventually there will be more. I remember watching one, wondering the same myself..... they came in time. I've had that exact type.
That's what I thought.
Too bad, as it really adds life to our office FOWLR tank.
I figure we'll just pull the whole piece of rock out to get rid or it.
Thanks.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack the thread but..

@Lionfish Lair, do you think an aiptasia this size could sting and eat a stonogobiops nematodes?

My goby has gone missing since Friday and when I was surveying the tank for him realized there was one this size mixed in with some xenia and Kenya tree [emoji15] ... I am hoping not....

He was eating and perfect Thursday , nothing added to tank, about 3 years old, he has disappeared for a few days before but his pistol shrimp has been out and about this time. Usually they both would disappear when that happened..

Zenlikeyoda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend removing it as soon as possible. I had a few small visible ones that I left alone only to attempt to eradicate it a month or so later when they doubled in number with PrescisionSolutions Aiptasia Solution (which works beautifully out of the box... not so much if it sits too long since it settles like sludge on the bottom of the bottle). But it must have been too late since less than 6 months from that date I have them all over the rocks, inside my sump, on the tank, in the sand. The chemical solution is no longer an option and my Peppermint Shrimps (all 8 of them) appear to not even make a dent in the number.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back