Air in reefer 900 seam should I be worried

jdm_aquatics!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so recently noted what I think is air in the side of my reefer 900 silicon seam and already contacted Red Sea yet to see a reply just wondering if almost 200 gallons will be on my floor one day

010490B4-C37E-4C61-A4E0-218701BE681E.jpeg 495A865B-B5E8-40F7-A043-95CC7B01AC02.jpeg

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

I would be replacing that tank. You might sleep easier if you add bracing to the tank for now but it doesn't look good

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, happened to me on a Friday and my tank was a 250, way less water to worry about. Why do these things always happen on a Friday?

I should had been taking a closer daily look at my bottom seam, I knew my stand had a tiny bit of a sag so keeping an eye on the potential issue is on me. But really it is on Red Sea, they made the tank.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are hard to see. I have the same tank. I would be watching that area closely. I suggest your measure the length of the air bubbles and see if they extend at all. 1mm would be too much for me. I would also be pushing Red Sea to give some feedback on it. That would make me nervous but not panicked yet.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, happened to me on a Friday and my tank was a 250, way less water to worry about. Why do these things always happen on a Friday?

I should had been taking a closer daily look at my bottom seam, I knew my stand had a tiny bit of a sag so keeping an eye on the potential issue is on me. But really it is on Red Sea, they made the tank.
Yea a big brand like Red Sea u would think there is no worries but it sucks

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this whole experience for me is 'recent'. Word of advice, go ahead and get a plan and have containers ready. Having a plan can mean the difference between a total or partial loss and no loss. I did not have any fish or corals die, but I do currently have one stressed fish from the scenario. I was lucky that it was two hours before a local reef store closed, I called that guy immediately and he had me a replacement system ready.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are hard to see. I have the same tank. I would be watching that area closely. I suggest your measure the length of the air bubbles and see if they extend at all. 1mm would be too much for me. I would also be pushing Red Sea to give some feedback on it. That would make me nervous but not panicked yet.
Thank you for the reply I have pictures and check on it like every hour or so lol but I am still under warranty so just waiting to see what they will do about it hopefully they send me a new tank or figure out how to fix it because these tanks are to much money for something like this to be happening

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this whole experience for me is 'recent'. Word of advice, go ahead and get a plan and have containers ready. Having a plan can mean the difference between a total or partial loss and no loss. I did not have any fish or corals die, but I do currently have one stressed fish from the scenario. I was lucky that it was two hours before a local reef store closed, I called that guy immediately and he had me a replacement system ready.
Thanks for the reply I’m waiting for Red Sea if they send a new tank since I’m under warranty or something to fix it or say it can be a problem I will drain the tank and put my coral in my coral qt and fish are already in qt from a ich outbreak only have around 6 or 7 but won’t leave water in tank for long

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply I have pictures and check on it like every hour or so lol but I am still under warranty so just waiting to see what they will do about it hopefully they send me a new tank or figure out how to fix it because these tanks are to much money for something like this to be happening
hopefully they don’t call you a liar like they did one guy in the other thread. They literally CC’d him on an email they were sending to BRS to pre warn them to ignore him if he tried to get a refund from them. I think I’ve finally settled on the big tank I want to build and that’s I.M 112 lagoon.

Red Sea are a clown show in my opinion. I used to want one of their systems so bad. I thought they were top of line at one time.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully they don’t call you a liar like they did one guy in the other thread. They literally CC’d him on an email they were sending to BRS to pre warn them to ignore him if he tried to get a refund from them. I think I’ve finally settled on the big tank I want to build and that’s I.M 112 lagoon.

Red Sea are a clown show in my opinion. I used to want one of their systems so bad. I thought they were top of line at one time.
Wow that’s crazy i hope they dont do that but I would have never gotten tanks from them if I new this was a problem for so many people

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s crazy i hope they dont do that but I would have never gotten tanks from them if I new this was a problem for so many people
Yeah there’s some people white knighting for them on every failure thread. But, it can’t be denied. There shouldn’t be that many failures on a single brand in my opinion. It’s unacceptable and bad for brand

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some glass cut.

Put a strip of glass on the outside of that joint and silicone it on.

I'd also get some corner braces made and put those on each corner

It's ugly but it will give that joint some much needed support while red sea fix this.

Running a rachet strap around the tank will help too

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there’s some people white knighting for them on every failure thread. But, it can’t be denied. There shouldn’t be that many failures on a single brand in my opinion. It’s unacceptable and bad for brand

Absolutely some white knighting.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be out buying some large stock tubs and whatever else I need for an emergency transfer. You could also pick up some ratchet straps for some temporary additional support if and when that seam does split. If you are a gambler, outline those air bubbles with a marker and see if they grow. If risking 240G of saltwater spilling onto your floors isn't your kind of excitement, then start transferring today.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jdm_aquatics!
your updates on how Red Sea responds will be the marker of what any customer can expect in the matter, we need to know how swiftly they respond and how much $ on your part (shipping costs if any) is required

they have a chance right now to do good customer service vs bad

your issue is so recent, new, this is the real test for them, a pre break fix

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back