Air Inlet Needed for Dosing Container?

  • Thread starter Thread starter timqmana
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

timqmana

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 30, 2023
Messages
86
Reaction score
27
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using an airtight food container to hold my 2 part for dosing.

Since the container is airtight, should I make a pin hole in the lid so I don't create a vacuum when the dosing pump doses? Or should I have in inlet line that has a check valve that in lets air in when the doser is pumping, but keeps everything air tight when it's not?

This is what I was going to use:

LOCK & LOCK Easy Essentials Twist Food Storage lids/Airtight containers, BPA Free, Tall-44 oz-for Pasta, Clear​

Amazon product ASIN B00CP5CE5M
 
Y
I plan on using an airtight food container to hold my 2 part for dosing.

Since the container is airtight, should I make a pin hole in the lid so I don't create a vacuum when the dosing pump doses? Or should I have in inlet line that has a check valve that in lets air in when the doser is pumping, but keeps everything air tight when it's not?

This is what I was going to use:

LOCK & LOCK Easy Essentials Twist Food Storage lids/Airtight containers, BPA Free, Tall-44 oz-for Pasta, Clear​

Amazon product ASIN B00CP5CE5M

Yes, I just have a 0.5mm hole drilled in the cap.
Evaporation is not an issue - no need for a valve.
 
My dosing container has loose (non screw on) lids. But I once accidentally spilt some salt water on them, and when the salt dried, it created a seal. After a while (weeks?) a vacuum built up, and the doser couldn't overcome it, and my Alk was dropping without explanation. So definitely drill that little hole.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new