Air Stone / CO2 / Well Water / Mixing Salt

c0mf0rt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I filter the well water to create RO/DI water. From what I hear the well water will typically contain a fair amount of CO2. My alkalinity after mixing and arriving at 1.025 with Fritz RPM is coming out to around 5. Obviously this is low compared to the 7-9 it is supposed to provide. Would an airstone in the bucket while I'm filling it help to produce the proper alkalinity when I go to mix?

TIA

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of well water having high concentrations of CO2. And, even if it did, CO2 doesn't affect alkalinity, it affects pH.
If you have low pH, using your skimmer or an airstone that draws air from outside (or from a CO2 scrubber) can increase your pH.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz's constantly low alk has certainly affected my lps skeletons noticeably, I had to start dosing 2 part again to prevent dissolution literally of the skeletons. my poor ten year old brain coral has sections where under the flesh the skeletal part receded and went a half inch under the growth portions this last year or two, dissolution / pH issues never happened in prior decades in my house using my routines until my lfs switched to Fritz and I use them last 2 years for makeup water. their low alk is dissolving my dang reef but I still dont want to make my own source water and prep, I'll just dose 2 part.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz's constantly low alk has certainly affected my lps skeletons noticeably, I had to start dosing 2 part again to prevent dissolution literally of the skeletons. my poor ten year old brain coral has sections where under the flesh the skeletal part receded and went a half inch under the growth portions this last year or two, dissolution / pH issues never happened in prior decades in my house using my routines until my lfs switched to Fritz and I use them last 2 years for makeup water. their low alk is dissolving my dang reef but I still dont want to make my own source water and prep, I'll just dose 2 part.
Then use Fritz red box. Mixes at 10-12 dkh.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed might have to be done. In sixteen years of reefing this one container Ive never seen skeletal mass loss at this rate, I'm surprised the regular mix has any alkalinity, the loss is shocking. my decades old blast merletti colony broke apart when I lifted it out of the water once, but never on any other mix than fritz rpm. same care routine, placement and timing for the tank the whole time. rather shocking

people hack on instant ocean regular, I'd love to have that from the pet shop as a pre mixed option.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fritz blue box without any issues. Test alk before adding to your tank and then match it before doing the water change. That's pretty standard in SPS dominated tanks.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed might have to be done. In sixteen years of reefing this one container Ive never seen skeletal mass loss at this rate, I'm surprised the regular mix has any alkalinity, the loss is shocking. my decades old blast merletti colony broke apart when I lifted it out of the water once, but never on any other mix than fritz rpm. same care routine, placement and timing for the tank the whole time. rather shocking

people hack on instant ocean regular, I'd love to have that from the pet shop as a pre mixed option.
Idk why. I like to mix saltwater and know 100% of the time, I get EXACTLY the same result. Can't say the same for any other brand I've tried. Mayne tropic maein is good, but I don't find "pharma grade" worth such a spike in price.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back